Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • opaque
    • By opaque 15th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 177Posts
    • 114Thanks
    opaque
    Shed insurance - namely fire/water damage
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    Shed insurance - namely fire/water damage 15th Sep 17 at 3:42 PM
    Hello,

Just got a new big shed. Shed is treated as an outbuilding and covered as standard and the contents are covered up to £5000 for theft with my household insurance with DirectLine. But not for for fire/water damage in the shed.
    Does anyone know of anyone that offers an insurance policy for just the contents of a shed for fire/water damage?
    It's comic books/collectables and mixed household stuff going in there, all going to be in big plastic boxes so should be safe enough but just looking to cover all eventualities as you never know etc etc

Any knowledge/advice most welcome
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Sep 17, 7:24 PM
    • 26,050 Posts
    • 10,386 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:24 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:24 PM
    Plastic boxes can attract condensation.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • opaque
    • By opaque 15th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    opaque
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    Which is why you use silicia gel. But seriously I had really useful boxes outside in snow and ice and rain, Green as hell on the top but perfect inside.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 15th Sep 17, 7:28 PM
    • 5,279 Posts
    • 2,505 Thanks
    rs65
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:28 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:28 PM
    Shed is treated as an outbuilding and covered as standard and the contents are covered up to £5000 for theft with my household insurance with DirectLine. But not for for fire/water damage in the shed.
    Originally posted by opaque
    Have you checked with them?

Reading the policy quickly, contents are covered within your home. Home is defined as:-
    The building of your main domestic home occupied by you, at the address shown in your schedule, including its domestic garages and outbuildings.

Theft from outbuildings has a limit but does it exclude fire/water damage?
    • opaque
    • By opaque 15th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    opaque
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    Specifically so yes, it was after doing a webchat with them I realised I might need some seperate cover.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 15th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    • 5,279 Posts
    • 2,505 Thanks
    rs65
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    Page 13
    The contents in your home are covered for damage caused by
    • Storm or flood
    • Theft or attempted theft from your home
    • Fire, explosion, lightning, earthquake and smoke
    • etc
    We will pay up to £5,000 for any contents claim following a theft from your garage or outbuildings

Page 56
    Home The building of your main domestic home occupied by you, at the address shown in your schedule, including its domestic garages and outbuildings.

I don’t see anything else relevant. I would ask them to point you to where in the policy fire and water damage aren’t covered
    • opaque
    • By opaque 15th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    opaque
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    I would say it's in 'We will pay up to £5,000 for any contents claim following a theft from your garage or outbuildings '

That is fairly clear. It doesn't say fire or theft. And the shed itself is covered for fire as mentioned in both quotes.

And apparently all of their products have that basis of cover for theft only but not for fire damage as I asked if they did it with any other insurance product as well.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 15th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Blibble
    It's my understanding that fire, escape of water, and storm damage would all be covered under Direct Line Group's policies (as somebody who's dealt with a fair few shed fires at one of their suppliers on their behalf!)
    • rs65
    • By rs65 15th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    • 5,279 Posts
    • 2,505 Thanks
    rs65
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    I would say it's in 'We will pay up to £5,000 for any contents claim following a theft from your garage or outbuildings '

That is fairly clear. It doesn't say fire or theft. And the shed itself is covered for fire as mentioned in both quotes.

And apparently all of their products have that basis of cover for theft only but not for fire damage as I asked if they did it with any other insurance product as well.
    Originally posted by opaque
    It limits the amount payable for theft claims. It doesn't limit or exclude anything else.
    • opaque
    • By opaque 15th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    opaque
    I will put a message on their FB as the web chat was very clear about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Under buildings cover, outbuildings are covered as standard. Under contents cover the contents inside outbuildings are covered for theft only up to £2500 on the home policy and £5000 on the home plus policy.

Kevin at 15:08, Sep 15:
    what about fire/water damage?

Natasha at 15:08, Sep 15:
    Buildings-yes. Contents-no. Contents are only covered for theft in outbuildings.

Edit: They will get back to me tomorrow. I had no idea they were online till 9!
    Last edited by opaque; 15-09-2017 at 9:23 PM. Reason: Update
    • opaque
    • By opaque 16th Sep 17, 9:15 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    opaque
    Update: the very nice people on Facebook got back to me and the person on the webchat were wrong!

Morning Kevin. Yes, the contents in a domestic shed are covered for the core covers outlined in section 2A of your policy booklet. This includes fire, explosion, lightning, earthquake and smoke. You can download a copy on our website here https://www.directline.com/home-insurance/policy-documents I'm sorry for any confusion caused by my colleague. Is there anything else I can help with today? Kirsty

Thank you to rs65 and Blibble for pushing me into double checking
    • rs65
    • By rs65 16th Sep 17, 10:35 AM
    • 5,279 Posts
    • 2,505 Thanks
    rs65
    Good news !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin