Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • michaelgordon
    • By michaelgordon 15th Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    • 97Posts
    • 18Thanks
    michaelgordon
    Heat Logs
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    Heat Logs 15th Sep 17 at 3:25 PM
    Hi everyone

So the weather is on the change and ive already got my supply of logs in but looking at supplementing with some heat logs.

I have tried a few over the last couple of years but looking to see if there are any I have missed.

I have tried Fuel Express sold in Tesco pack of 12 burnt well, Hotties, were good but more expensive than the fuel express and didn't seem to get more heat. Aldi UK Heatlogs, didn't like these just expanded and went to nothing & finally Verdo which were good burnt well and cheaper than hotties & fuel express.

Any other recommendations worth considering?
Page 1
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 15th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    Verdo's from Home Bargains work for me
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • michaelgordon
    • By michaelgordon 15th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    michaelgordon
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    yes i agree best of the bunch for me just wondered if anything new or different. if not will go back for them
    • Greenfires
    • By Greenfires 17th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    Greenfires
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    The Fuel Express briquettes are made by the same company that make Hotties. Yes they're cheaper, but you don't get more for your money than you do with Hotties. The 12 pack briquettes are smaller and the packs are lighter too, so you're getting less actual material for starters. I sold hundreds of tonnes of Hotties when I was dealing with them - almost every single customer came back year after year - and we also used them ourselves at home. In our experience, the only things we ever found that were better were the old Treenergy briquettes - and we only started selling Hotties when Treenergy packed up.

My advice - even if you don't go for Hotties - would be to choose an extruded briquette. Almost all the pressed ones do the swelling up and falling to bits routine, and once the flames are done the party's pretty much over. Hotties form proper embers that will keep putting the heat out for ages after the flames have died down.
    • smallblueplanet
    • By smallblueplanet 18th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 905 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    smallblueplanet
    • 18th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 18th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    Verdo's from Home Bargains work for me
    Originally posted by matelodave
    And me. Easy to break in half/small bits too.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 18th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    • 3,250 Posts
    • 5,499 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 18th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    • 18th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    I got half a pallet from here http://www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk/briquettes and they were very good.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • michaelgordon
    • By michaelgordon 21st Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    michaelgordon
    • 21st Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    hmm may have a look at the white horse eco blaze.

Problem I have with hotties is I burnt roughly the same amount as every other briquette so it proved quite expensive, they were good but not great to justify the extra expense
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 21st Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 3,250 Posts
    • 5,499 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 21st Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    hmm may have a look at the white horse eco blaze.

Problem I have with hotties is I burnt roughly the same amount as every other briquette so it proved quite expensive, they were good but not great to justify the extra expense
    Originally posted by michaelgordon
    If you have a garage with space the delivery drivers seem quite happy to push a pallet load into it for you.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

301Posts Today

2,684Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin