Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kegwegman
    • By kegwegman 15th Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kegwegman
    Prepaid credit cards
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    Prepaid credit cards 15th Sep 17 at 2:34 PM
    Is there a credit card that will enable me to pay in say £10, and refuse any drawings in excess of that?
Page 1
    • takman
    • By takman 16th Sep 17, 10:23 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    takman
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:23 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:23 PM
    DO NOT get the card memberme is recommending. It charges £5.95 a month or £0.99 per transaction and that is just the start of it. I have reported their posts for spam.

There are prepaid cards that have no fees at all even for use abroad such a MONZO which would be suitable.
    • markharding557
    • By markharding557 16th Sep 17, 11:47 PM
    • 2,892 Posts
    • 3,191 Thanks
    markharding557
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:47 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:47 PM
    A prepaid card is different to a credit card in that you put funds on to a prepaid card where as a credit card lends money.
    Info here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-cards

DO NOT get the card memberme is recommending. RIPPOFF!!!
    Last edited by markharding557; 16-09-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Sep 17, 5:02 AM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 17th Sep 17, 5:02 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 5:02 AM
    DO NOT get the card memberme is recommending. It charges £5.95 a month or £0.99 per transaction and that is just the start of it. I have reported their posts for spam.
    Originally posted by takman
    Recommendation of Cashplus may not be spam but just plain ignorance. Monzo and Loot have better facilities and cost nothing - why pay more..?
    • Lilysgranny
    • By Lilysgranny 2nd Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lilysgranny
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    I have a Pockit prepaid card which I was unable to use anywhere in Cape Town. I am now struggling to get back the money I loaded onto the card. I have been promised by Pockit they will repay the funds, over £500, on the card but they just dont.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 2nd Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    • 3,089 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    I have a Pockit prepaid card which I was unable to use anywhere in Cape Town. I am now struggling to get back the money I loaded onto the card. I have been promised by Pockit they will repay the funds, over £500, on the card but they just dont.
    Originally posted by Lilysgranny
    You can transfer the balance to a UK bank account from within the app. The first transfer is free.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 2nd Oct 17, 2:49 PM
    • 3,089 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:49 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:49 PM
    Recommendation of Cashplus may not be spam but just plain ignorance. Monzo and Loot have better facilities and cost nothing - why pay more..?
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Cashplus offers several different payment options.

Punters who join via MoneySupermarket.com get an account with no monthly fee, no UK ATM fees and no purchase charges.

The card costs £5.95, however that's more than off set by a £10 credit for depositing £50 or more.

A couple of things to be aware of: there's a £5.95 fee to have a new card sent when the current one expires. I've read here that punters may be shunted on to one of their pay tariffs after a while.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 2nd Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    Is there a credit card that will enable me to pay in say £10, and refuse any drawings in excess of that?
    Originally posted by kegwegman
    Mostly all of them: With a prepaid card you can only spend what is on the card. These days Prepaid Credit Card is a misnomer since some prepaid cards are designated as a Credit card while some are designated as a Debit card. If spending with the card that difference could be important: For example my local Lidl store doesn't accepts credit cards including prepaid credit cards but they accept prepaid debit cards.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,432Posts Today

7,876Users online

Martin's Twitter