Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adibranch
    • By adibranch 15th Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 0Thanks
    adibranch
    sim only , no addons, no monthly top up
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    sim only , no addons, no monthly top up 15th Sep 17 at 2:18 PM
    Hi all, can anyone help?

I need a sim only PAYG, which i can just top up when i need it, no packages, no repeating 30 day things, just prepay and use it when i need it, even if that takes six months. This is for a second emergency phone mainly when i'm out walking and occasional use by my son for his pokemon app.

Ideally this needs to be on a network other than 02 for coverage reasons. The main use will be data on an app, and very rarely the odd text. For this reason, i need data cost to be lower than anything else.

It's so difficult to go through the providers websites, as its not clear what you're actually buying.

Anyone?
Page 1
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 15th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 2,438 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    I expect the answer is '3' I believe there is a 321 tarif 3p 2p 1p

otherwise I would have said asda which uses the EE network, but I would imagine the data is more expensive.

https://mobile.asda.com/orders/new
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 15th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    Three PAYG might do what you want. Calls 3p, texts 2p, data 1p per Megabyte. Expires after six months but just make a chargeable call twice a year, even if its to home to say hey to the answer machine.
    • adibranch
    • By adibranch 15th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    adibranch
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    Three might be the way to go, but finding the actual sim deal on their website is a nightmare.. it constantly guides you to their 30 day plans. PAYG just doesnt mean PAYG any more.

Edit: found it, i think
    Last edited by adibranch; 15-09-2017 at 3:02 PM.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 15th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 7,621 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    Whilst 3 meets the need on financial grounds be careful to check its coverage,

I suspect you may find they concentrate on inner city areas, my experience,admittedly not recent, was that their coverage was poor, say, on the Yorkshire Moors, if walking is your pursuit of choice.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 15th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    Whilst 3 meets the need on financial grounds be careful to check its coverage,
    Originally posted by pmduk
    I find Three coverage to be pretty good, better locally than Vodafone or O2, rather surprisingly. Beware that newer phones include additional frequency bands that may help coverage, especially into buildings. These bands are not necessarily included in older models. Three's mapping page includes a drop down box to choose your phone type for this reason.

For coverage, data rates and technology (4G/LTE, etc), try the Cell Phone Coverage app by Rootmetrics. It has detailed mapping and data for the four UK networks as measured by real users, which includes checks from homes and pubs, etc.

Don't forget you need a 3G phone to use the Three network, those obsolete (and recently reintroduced for some bizarre reason) 2G 3310 Nokia phones won't work on Three.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

669Posts Today

5,140Users online

Martin's Twitter