Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lauren0077
    • By Lauren0077 15th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lauren0077
    Landlord changed moving in date
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    Landlord changed moving in date 15th Sep 17 at 2:08 PM
    Me and my partner are about to rent a house which is a new build house - Builders have built it, are unable to sell it so are renting it out.
    The builders are working through an estate agents, the estate agents have been helpful but whenever we have had a query, the estate agents say the builders are not coming back to them and have been chasing them for days about a simple question.

We paid our reference fees and last week we were given a moving in date of the 16th September (tomorrow).
    Today we have had the tenancy contract sent through stating the moving in date (16th). 10 minutes after, we received a phone call from the estate agents saying that the builders have ordered the wrong carpet and flooring and we can't move in now until the 20th. this is less than 24 hours notice!

Me and my partner have booked time off work, and hired a van, so we've lost around £500 between us. We are really annoyed that this has happened. Can the estate agents talk to the builders about reducing the first months rent as compensation for the money we will be losing. They have messed us around completely and we are lost at what rights we have here.
    Thanks for your help
Page 1
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 15th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 994 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    What does your tenancy agreement say?
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £3,963

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 15th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 3,093 Posts
    • 25,585 Thanks
    thriftylass
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    Today we have had the tenancy contract sent through stating the moving in date (16th).
    Originally posted by Lauren0077

This.......
    • G_M
    • By G_M 15th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 41,873 Posts
    • 48,446 Thanks
    G_M
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    Is the tenancy agreement signed - either by the landlord (builders) or their agents?
    • Lauren0077
    • By Lauren0077 15th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lauren0077
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    It is a full tenancy agreement however it states 'these promises will be binding once the contract is signed by each individual' And nobody has signed it yet. We do have a formal e-mail from the estate agents stating our moving in date and time though. Surely this will count for something?
    • Lauren0077
    • By Lauren0077 15th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lauren0077
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    Is the tenancy agreement signed - either by the landlord (builders) or their agents?
    Originally posted by G_M
    Unfortunately not. The e-mail it is attached to has our confirmed move in date and time from the estate agent I am dealing with. But that's about it
    • G_M
    • By G_M 15th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    • 41,873 Posts
    • 48,446 Thanks
    G_M
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    Well you can certainly go in to their offices and have a paddy! Embarrass them ideally in front of other clients? Argue that the tenancy ageement combined with the email consitutes a formal offer of contract which you've accepted, making it binding.

Then insist on being housed, if not in that property, then another one temporarily. Threaten to move into a hotel, and sue for the cost if they don't house you.

However, be warned that they might refuse, and if it went to court the outcome is highly uncertain due tto the lack of signature on the tenancy agreement.

Alternative approach to the threats, is the equivellant of tea & cake: appeal to their sense of fair-play and break down in tears at being homeless.........
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Sep 17, 3:55 PM
    • 9,004 Posts
    • 59,270 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:55 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:55 PM
    Are you able to suggest that you still move in but are happy to wait for the flooring to be fitted next week....
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 154 out 132 in ...£14.92 spend
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

5,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin