Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Iulia
    • By Iulia 15th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Iulia
    savings, pension, season ticket loan and affordability
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    savings, pension, season ticket loan and affordability 15th Sep 17 at 2:00 PM
    Hello. At the moment I'm saving £300 each month for various reasons - doing a monthly standing order from my bank account to my savings accounts and my child's account. When remortgaging, does the lender include this amount in affordability calculations or not?

How about my own pension contributions (£200) and my annual season ticket loan (£110)? - both shown on payslip. It it worth stopping my pension contributions several months before applying to remortgage? I could save the pension contributions for a while, and then make a lump sum payment.

The annual season ticket loan deductions will end in June 2018, before the remortgage date which is 1 August 2018. My employer agreed for me to work from home 2 days per week as of this month, so I won't take out another season ticket loan next year.
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 15th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 31,929 Posts
    • 17,059 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    Savings & pension, no.

Travel season ticket loan, probably yes.

This will vary from lender to lender and will depend on the chosen lender's attitude to expenditure as a whole and travel expenses in particular.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Neutrinno
    • By Neutrinno 15th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Neutrinno
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    They will only look at the committed expenditure, so the season ticket would of been taken but obviously that is going to be stopped close to the time you remortgage.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Iulia
    • By Iulia 15th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Iulia
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    Thanks, so perhaps I'm better off just asking my employer if I can repay the loan early - say in December this year?

Regarding the pension, I'm confused, as there were some mortgage affordability calculators online that asked me to input pretax deductions from payslip (pension is pretax, right?)
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 15th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 31,929 Posts
    • 17,059 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    It's impossible to give you 100% lender specific answers.

Most lenders ignore pension conts. Most lenders ignore savings.

If you apply in July to a lender which wants only one payslip and your season ticket loan isn't on it, you're fine. If you apply to a lender which asks for three months payslips, you'll have questions to answer about the loan as it's visible on two of the three...

We have a job because we know the nuances of different lenders and their criteria quirks.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 15th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    Rich2808
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    When it comes to pension contributions some lenders do take these into account in their affordability calculations - HSBC group and Barclays do the Lloyds group and RBS/Natwest don't. Nothing is a hard and fast rule.

Savings will be ignored - as its not expenditure. A pension contribution cannot be access until age 55 or later so is expenditure.

Clearly season ticket costs are relevant - lenders can see where you live and where you work so its obvious you will have bigger commuting costs the further the journey.

These shouldnt be an issue for most people unless you are on the margins of affordability (e.g. low deposit or high LTV)

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/may/07/i-failed-to-get-a-mortgage-because-of-my-pension-contributions
    • Iulia
    • By Iulia 15th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Iulia
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    When it comes to pension contributions some lenders do take these into account in their affordability calculations - HSBC group and Barclays do the Lloyds group and RBS/Natwest don't. Nothing is a hard and fast rule.
    Originally posted by Rich2808
    Thanks. Are you sure re: Barclays? This text below is from their calculator (the intermediaries website):
    "Other regular monthly commitments (please do not include pension contributions)"
    In my case the pension contributions are completely voluntary. My employer contributes a certain %, I don't have to contribute anything, so I guess it's safer to stop them for a while. I have childcare costs which affect affordability.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 15th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 31,929 Posts
    • 17,059 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:27 PM

Savings will be ignored - as its not expenditure. A pension contribution cannot be access until age 55 or later so is expenditure.

Clearly season ticket costs are relevant - lenders can see where you live and where you work so its obvious you will have bigger commuting costs the further the journey.

These shouldnt be an issue for most people unless you are on the margins of affordability (e.g. low deposit or high LTV)

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/may/07/i-failed-to-get-a-mortgage-because-of-my-pension-contributions
    Originally posted by Rich2808
    The Barclays LAC specifically excludes pension conts now, as you can see here;-

https://resources.barclays.co.uk/mortgage-calculators/residential-affordability
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 15th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 31,929 Posts
    • 17,059 Thanks
    kingstreet
    I have childcare costs which affect affordability.
    Originally posted by Iulia
    Not all lenders do that.
    • Iulia
    • By Iulia 19th Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Iulia
    Thank you all for the responses. I checked with my employer and I decided to pay off the season ticket loan early - it makes sense anyway, as I have recently started to work from home 2 days per week, and it's not necessarily saving me money anymore. Now, they have said the loan needed to come off my salary and it will be shown on the payslip, so I decided to do it next month, to make sure that 6 payslips before the remortgage are all clear. Maybe that's an overkill

Read a bit about pension as well and found 3 lenders who could potentially ignore my (voluntary) pension contributions even though they are shown on my payslip: Barclays, Santander, and Tesco. Am I right? I don't want to temporarily stop these if I don't need to.

I've also decided for now - unless a broker can convince me otherwise - that Barclays is my preferred lender for the re-mortgage. They have good fix 5-yr rates, ability to overpay and low-ish variable rate, so I hope they'll have my mortgage. Problem is, they appear not to take into account annual bonuses at all, unless they are over £10,000? That doesn't make sense at all to me, why in the world would they do that?

Final question, it appears that all of the above 3 lenders consider child maintenance and child benefit if they can be proven with regular bank statements or court order. Given that both child maintenance and child benefit will most likely stop after my child turns 18, is that an issue? My child is 8, so that's another 10 years to go.

Apologies for the length of the message and thank you in advance for all who take time to respond. This forum is invaluable.
    • Iulia
    • By Iulia 19th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Iulia
    Bumping up.
    • fewcloudy
    • By fewcloudy 20th Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    fewcloudy

I've also decided for now - unless a broker can convince me otherwise - that Barclays is my preferred lender for the re-mortgage. They have good fix 5-yr rates, ability to overpay and low-ish variable rate, so I hope they'll have my mortgage. Problem is, they appear not to take into account annual bonuses at all, unless they are over £10,000? That doesn't make sense at all to me, why in the world would they do that?
    Originally posted by Iulia
    So many questions and variables, I hope you do in fact have a broker? Sounds to me like it would be money well spent...
    Feb 2008, 20year tracker with Sprogget and Sylvester, 0.5% + base for 2 years, then 0.99% + base for life of mortgage. Kudos to my mortgage broker...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,001Posts Today

8,577Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin