Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • B17Fan
    • By B17Fan 15th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    B17Fan
    Informal interview tips needed
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    Informal interview tips needed 15th Sep 17 at 1:26 PM
    I have an unofficial interview on Tuesday for an evening cleaning job at a children's nursery.
    I've got very little interview skills and just wanted some tips.
    It's a job I really hope I get, so I want to give a good impression.
    I've not worked in a while and the last cleaning job I had was about 15 years ago.
    Had a cleaning job interview a few months ago, where they just showed me round and explained the job, but I wasn't successful.
    Want to show I'm enthusiastic and show I'm interested, so I would like to think of some questions I could ask.
    Does anyone have any tips or ideas of questions I can ask?

Many thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Wookey
    • By Wookey 15th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Wookey
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    One of the first I would ask is do they have a lockable COSHH cupboard/store for all cleaning materials, children and chemical cleaning products don't mix.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 15th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    • 18,695 Posts
    • 18,987 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    What could I do in the first 3 months in this role that would really impress you?

Are there any areas of cleaning which you feel are sometimes neglected?
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 16th Sep 17, 2:37 AM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 4,166 Thanks
    ariarnia
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:37 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:37 AM
    I have an unofficial interview on Tuesday for an evening cleaning job at a children's nursery.
    I've got very little interview skills and just wanted some tips.
    It's a job I really hope I get, so I want to give a good impression.
    I've not worked in a while and the last cleaning job I had was about 15 years ago.
    Had a cleaning job interview a few months ago, where they just showed me round and explained the job, but I wasn't successful.
    Want to show I'm enthusiastic and show I'm interested, so I would like to think of some questions I could ask.
    Does anyone have any tips or ideas of questions I can ask?

Many thanks in advance
    Originally posted by B17Fan
    I've got a cleaner and I interviewed a few before I found the perfect fit for what we need.

First off, congratulations on being invited to interview. You won't get invited to interview if the they don't think you can do the job (it's a waste of time) so mostly they'll want to see if you seem competent, reliable, dependable, and if you'll be a decent fit for what they need.

One danger of an informal meeting is the tendency to speak too freely. Spend most of your time listening and be wary of coming across as too 'enthusiastic' (read difficult to manage or fake).

When you're answering a question keep it short and focused on the job. 'Tell me about yourself' doesn't mean tell me where you were born, it means tell me how long you've been cleaning and who you've cleaned for/that they were happy with your work and any particular skills or qualifications that you have.

Never say anything negative about a colleague, former supervisor, or former employer. Informal interviews may be informal but a sense of personal responsibility, discretion, and honestly are important in cleaning and blaming others, bad mouthing someone or telling tales are big no-no's.

Emphasise you show initiative (when you finish a task, if you have time leftover, you do something else) but know when to follow the rules exactly, ask for help or get advice (such as when to report COSHH, to read labels and not to decant anything, to not use things if you've been told not to).

If you're going to be in a team, I'd want to know you don't just stick to your stuff if someone needs help. If you're being interviewed on site remember everything you do is being watched. Smile at people going past, hold open doors, pick up any bits of rubbish on the floor. Anything small can make a great impression.

And... good luck.

Come back and tell us how it goes?
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,360Posts Today

8,075Users online

Martin's Twitter