Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 6,165Posts
    • 4,940Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Pure Internet Radio. Pure are idiots!
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    Pure Internet Radio. Pure are idiots! 15th Sep 17 at 1:15 PM
    I've had a Pure internet radio for a few years. Adding and removing internet radio stations was done via an online account. From July this year this has been withdrawn. Now the only way to add stations is via an app on an android device. I haven't got an android device! I've tried using a friends and am forced into an unending farce involving google accounts unrecognised passwords and apps that won't download. Its a complete waste of my time.

Why do Pure ignorantly assume everyone will be able or want to to use apps? This has made their products much less user friendly and I expect shut out a sizeable proportion of their potential customers. This is a stupid decision by them and has put me off buying further Pure products.

http://support-uk.pure.com/en/kb/articles/important-update-from-12th-june-pure-connect-will-only-be-accessible-via-android-and-ios-apps
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
Page 1
    • takman
    • By takman 15th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    takman
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    They probably monitor the usage of the site and apps and probably see that the majority of people use the apps to manage the devices.

Thinking about it I don't actually know one person who had an internet connection but doesn't have any kind of Android or iOS device. Even older people who don't have a smartphone are seeing the benefits of having a tablet PC (usually with iOS or Android on it) to use for casual web browsing.

Across the population PC's are loosing popularity because alot of people don't need or want to have the extra features that they offer over a tablet.

You could get an Android emulator for a PC but I don't know of any good free ones so I doubt it's worth paying just for one app.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 15th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    Roughly 70% of the population have a smartphone. On top of that you'll have people with tablets. I guess they have deemed the small group that have neither as outside their target market, which is more cost effective than idiotic.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 18,437 Posts
    • 14,150 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    If you've had the radio for several years then surely it will already have most of the stations that you want on it, and it would only be a rare occurence that you'd want to add or delete one.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 6,165 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    If you've had the radio for several years then surely it will already have most of the stations that you want on it, and it would only be a rare occurence that you'd want to add or delete one.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    30,000+ stations available, regularly changing, plus podcasts which need adding daily or weekly. Thats the point of an internet radio, massive choice, which I've now been shut out of.

The online site was never perfect and had problems in use. Apparently the app can also be very problematic. The radio itself is electronically good but its always felt like the oddly named "The Lounge" which is needed to manage internet stations and podcasts always felt like it was poorly thought out and designed by technology fans rather than radio users. I suspect the decision to dismiss a proportion of their customers was made by the same people.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 15-09-2017 at 7:51 PM.
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 15th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    Reading the blurb, it is clear that they have changed ownership. I think the issue at hand is the least of your concerns at this moment in time, as they may either:

1. Completely revamp the service and cause more issues

2. Introduce new desktop or mobile features in line with what you need from them.

Bit harsh calling them "pure idiots" though when they've probably just walked away with a few bob
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th Sep 17, 8:05 AM
    • 6,165 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:05 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:05 AM

Bit harsh calling them "pure idiots" though when they've probably just walked away with a few bob
    Originally posted by stuartJo1989
    I don't care if the previous owners made a profit.

When I try to log in my password needs resetting. I go through the process of password resetting but whatever password I try is "not acceptable", no reason or explanation given. After wasting time trying endlessly I contacted them about this to be told the service is not available. I suggested they put something on the log in screen to explain this to their customers which they agreed to do. They still haven't done it. This is why I think they're idiots. They've pulled the plug on this and walked away leaving customers to hunt for the reason. Thats not how a reputable company should act. Thats just poor and blinkered management.

Having a major part of the functionality of one of their products removed like this and their obvious indifference has put me off buying further products from them.
    Most people wouldn't buy products that are physically unreliable. This is, in effect, the same.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 16-09-2017 at 8:11 AM.
    • barbarawright
    • By barbarawright 16th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,667 Posts
    • 3,204 Thanks
    barbarawright
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    i've actually never come across anyone who listens to podcasts on the radio. I assumed most people used their phone or a tablet. You could get a tablet for £50 or so which would do everything your radio does and a lot more
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 16th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    I don't care if the previous owners made a profit.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Well fair enough!

But people are allowed to sell a business, and the new owners are allowed to modify the services. Doesn't make anyone "pure idiots" I'm afraid
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 16th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    i've actually never come across anyone who listens to podcasts on the radio. I assumed most people used their phone or a tablet. You could get a tablet for £50 or so which would do everything your radio does and a lot more
    Originally posted by barbarawright
    I always listen to an American radio station on a similar platform. This is done on the pc, so I appreciate OP's situation. That's just life though

Plus, I also have it on my android phone and occasionally listen to it on there (but it really doesn't like 4G and jumps excessively!).
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 6,165 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Originally posted by barbarawright
    I could find alternate ways of listening but I would prefer to use the item I own for the task it was designed and sold for.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 6,165 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Well fair enough!

But people are allowed to sell a business, and the new owners are allowed to modify the services. Doesn't make anyone "pure idiots" I'm afraid
    Originally posted by stuartJo1989
    Its only you that has referred to "pure idiots". I said "Pure are idiots". Pure is the name of the company.

As a previous customer I won't buy from Pure again as they clearly cannot be relied on to support their products in this important way. They also managed this very badly which will annoy current customers.
    Is it good long term business to lose customers in this way?
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 17th Sep 17, 12:45 AM
    • 3,785 Posts
    • 4,823 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    Is it good long term business to lose customers in this way?
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Actually, it probably is.

They've developed a product which you have paid for once, but which allows you to continually access their services (the web site). Each time you access their website it costs them money, but they get no extra cash out of you. And so they've saved themselves the cash drain you were becoming.

You may not buy from them again, but I suspect they've done the maths, and on balance the ongoing cost saving outweighs the potential extra income you would generate.

Any product that relies on the manufacturer providing a free service is never going to work indefinitely.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,619Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin