Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ed_Zep
    • By Ed_Zep 15th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 329Posts
    • 259Thanks
    Ed_Zep
    Rent Deposit Dispute
    • 15th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    Rent Deposit Dispute 15th Sep 17 at 12:55 PM
    Hi.

if a landlord doesn't return the deposit or indicate why he isn't returning the deposit in 10 days and then wishes to claim for the cleaning (and believe me, we're talking just the shower head, a window sill and a drawer) and I go to the TDS, is it possible to claim for compensation greater than the deposit? I'd read it was up to 3x.

It's over 3 weeks since I finished the tenancy.

I'm not trying to get any more than my deposit back but I think he's being unreasonable when we're talking very light cleaning (and the letting agent is already advertising it) so I want to dissuade him from trying to rip me off.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 15th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    Hi.

if a landlord doesn't return the deposit or indicate why he isn't returning the deposit in 10 days and then wishes to claim for the cleaning (and believe me, we're talking just the shower head, a window sill and a drawer) and I go to the TDS, is it possible to claim for compensation greater than the deposit? I'd read it was up to 3x. - then you should re-read. Because that is ONLY if your deposit has not been protected. The 10 days is a load of nonsense

It's over 3 weeks since I finished the tenancy. - So just make a single claim

I'm not trying to get any more than my deposit back but I think he's being unreasonable when we're talking very light cleaning - depends how much he's claiming, but if you failed to clean and it's a reasonable amount then that is fair deductions. (and the letting agent is already advertising it) so I want to dissuade him from trying to rip me off.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Ed_Zep
    Advertising the property has nothing to do with it.

Let's say you'd destroyed a table, the LL can still advertise it for rent without a table and simultaneously claim the value from you.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 15th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 41,916 Posts
    • 48,508 Thanks
    G_M
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    No. The 'up to 3 times' penalty is for
    * failing to register the deposit
    * registering it late
    * failing to provide the PI
    * providing the PI late

Thee LL can claim deductions for anything he likes. If he can substantiate his claim in the face of whatever counter submissions you make, he'll be awarded the money.

For more, see

* Deposits: payment, protection and return
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

669Posts Today

5,140Users online

Martin's Twitter