Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 15th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 643Posts
    • 4,309Thanks
    retiredandskint
    Moving internal gas pipe
    • 15th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    Moving internal gas pipe 15th Sep 17 at 12:48 PM
    Having dismissed knocking through from dining room into half the garage I'm now thinking of making the kitchen and dining room into one. The problem s that the gas boiler and hob are against that wall. The built in double oven is as well but guess that's not so much a problem. The kitchen will need to be refitted (needs doing anyway) .

As far as order of works should I

Knock out kitchen
    Move boiler (if feasible) and gas pipe for hob
    Have new kitchen fitted
    Knock down wall

My kids, by the way, think I'm nuts.
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 16,992 Posts
    • 11,177 Thanks
    molerat
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    The only major problem there is "moving the boiler". An existing boiler need not conform to any of the myriad of new regulations that have evolved since it was installed but once you start moving it you could be in for a whole host of headaches.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 15th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    The boiler is 12 years old and serviced annually would that make a difference?
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 15th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 7,454 Posts
    • 7,837 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    It might, because what is allowed as an older installation (even if it is Not Current Standards (NCS on a gas certificate)) may not be allowed in a new installation.

Do not have the new kitchen fitted before you knock down the wall!! Knocking down the wall is the messy bit and should be done before the new kitchen goes in.

You need a gas safe engineer to visit the site and advise you on flue options. If the boiler is on an external wall then there are minimum distances from the flue to windows/extractor fans/vents etc. If internally then there are more recent regulations on flues through voids where access panels have to be provided so the whole flue can be visible for inspection.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 15th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    You would probably need a new flue, make sure the flue kit is available. What boiler is it? Where are you moving the boiler too? If your building a kitchen around the old boiler then you may have to disrupt the kitchen again in a few years to fit a new boiler, might be worth biting the bullet now and doing the job once.
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 15th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    If the builders had put the boiler against the outside wall there could have been a workaround. Instead they put it on the internal wall making the open plan look impossible.

I think we'll have to replace the boiler first and work from there.

Then again, I could have a conservatory instead.
    • bris
    • By bris 15th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 6,820 Posts
    • 5,850 Thanks
    bris
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    NCS (not to current standards) no longer exists.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 15th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    Of course NCS still exists, it's just not notifiable to a customer, doesn't mean you could fit or move a boiler to a location that would not meet manufacturers instructions or the gas safety regulations.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 15th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    Most of the above!
    Built in oven? Is that electrical? Get quotes for movement t from qualified electricians too and get an explanation of what is required.

Add find out dimensions and positions possible for kitchen units appliances boiler etc. P!an it out. Ensure wall being removed is not structural, speak to building standards at the outset in case there might be problems. Maybe not so then it is one thing you can rule out!
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 15th Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    Mmmmm lots to think about.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,877Posts Today

8,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin