Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chicaloca
    • By chicaloca 15th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 46Posts
    • 10Thanks
    chicaloca
    Receipt required?
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    Receipt required? 15th Sep 17 at 11:12 AM
    Hi

Not sure where to start looking but my parents bought a fence and shed from a timber company in Scotland which was put up a week ago. The work has been done but no receipt has been given to me despite me asking both by phone and by email. Are they legally obliged to give them one? It was a cash payment as far as I know. Not sure how to find out. Any advice would be gratefully received. Hope this is the right place to ask.

thanks
Page 1
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 15th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 23,934 Posts
    • 50,635 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    Yes they ought to supply an invoice.

Is there any warranty attached to the shed and fence? Is there any documentary evidence of that?

I presume there is some paperwork connected with the order?

Was it done at a discount 'for cash' nudge nudge wink wink?
    • chicaloca
    • By chicaloca 15th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    chicaloca
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    I'm afraid no discount for cash, I did ask but I reckon it was tax-dodging which I didnt realise until the work was actually underway. I'm not impressed at all, no invoice and no warranty that I know about, I've asked about the warranty by email and I've been ignored so far. So.......not exactly professional to say the least.

I'm just about to reply to tell them again i want a receipt, an invoice and also the wheelbarrow of rubbish they left behind them removed by wednesday or I'll be complaining about them on social media. the work theyve done is ok but the aftersales.....is non-existant. I was just wondering if there was anything legal i could say to make them issue the invoice and receipt. So frustrating and extra hassle. thanks for your reply, appreciate you taking the time to do it
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 15th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 23,934 Posts
    • 50,635 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    Well, it is possible that they could be avoiding income/corporation tax. So, a hint that you might contact HMRC may be helpful.

Having said that your parents may have been avoiding VAT.
    • missile
    • By missile 15th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 8,987 Posts
    • 4,362 Thanks
    missile
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    If they are doing that to you, it will not be the first time. Report them to HMRC for tax dodging and VAT(?) fraud.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 15th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 2,502 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    Was it in the contract that they take the rubbish away? Why did you ask for a discount for a cash payment? It makes it look like you were wanting to do some dodging. There is no requirement to give a receipt. You should get an invoice but again, the fact there is not one does not mean the company are dodging anything.
    In fact the company don't have to give you anything. It's your parents who require it.
    • chicaloca
    • By chicaloca 15th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    chicaloca
    • 15th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    Well I know it's my parents that need the invoice but the company is far more local to me than them and it was in my garden the work was done. I only asked for a discount as my parents asked me to as it was a fairly big sum of money that was spent and it was their money. I wouldnt have done it if it was my money. They took the rest of the rubbish away but left some by accident.

It was agreed it was either a cash or cheque payment. My parents had made out a cheque but were later told it had to be cash as it was sub contractors that were on the job so no tax dodging on my parents part. It sounds suspiciously like the company is up to something tho. Anyway thanks for the help.
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 15th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Risteard
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    also the wheelbarrow of rubbish they left behind them removed by wednesday
    Originally posted by chicaloca
    Unless they are a licenced waste carrier then they are legally prohibited from removing waste from the site.
    • Debran
    • By Debran 16th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Debran
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    Once or twice I have typed out a receipt myself and asked the workman to sign it.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 16th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,524 Posts
    • 2,611 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Unless they are a licenced waste carrier then they are legally prohibited from removing waste from the site.
    Originally posted by Risteard
    Nonsense, the removal of rubbish and disposal by legitimate means is part of the cost of any works unless specifically excluded. Trades vehicles disposing of rubbish will be charged at recycling plants, so they've avoided that charge. Sneaky.

Edited to add - unless the waste is hazardous (such as asbestos) then they do have to have a special licence.
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 16th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Risteard
    Nonsense, the removal of rubbish and disposal by legitimate means is part of the cost of any works unless specifically excluded.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    It is NOT nonsense.

IT IS ILLEGAL TO REMOVE WASTE FROM A SITE WITHOUT BEING A LICENCED WASTE CARRIER.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 16th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Nonsense, the removal of rubbish and disposal by legitimate means is part of the cost of any works unless specifically excluded. Trades vehicles disposing of rubbish will be charged at recycling plants, so they've avoided that charge. Sneaky.

Edited to add - unless the waste is hazardous (such as asbestos) then they do have to have a special licence.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    The government say otherwise.

https://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-broker-registration
    • ilikewatch
    • By ilikewatch 16th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    ilikewatch
    Yeah, though some tradesmen interpret the rules according to the occasion, a case in point would be the plumber my neighbour recently used:

When he had removed a load of boxing made of wood/plasterboard, and 2 fibreglass baths he couldn't remove it because he "didn't have a waste carriers licence"

However, a week later when he removed a copper immersion heater and a massive pile of copper/lead piping this didn't seem to be an issue...
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 16th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    docmatt
    Here we go another thread where someone has had work done, probably the cheapest quote out them all for cash and now it's receipt and paperwork time and lets get reporting them to the inland revenue.
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 17th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    Apodemus
    It is NOT nonsense.

IT IS ILLEGAL TO REMOVE WASTE FROM A SITE WITHOUT BEING A LICENCED WASTE CARRIER.
    I think you are missing the fact that this case is in Scotland, where the law is different.
    • doningtonphil
    • By doningtonphil 20th Sep 17, 11:07 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    doningtonphil
    I think you are missing the fact that this case is in Scotland, where the law is different.
    Originally posted by Apodemus
    Not according to SEPA it isnt...

https://www.sepa.org.uk/regulations/waste/waste-carriers-and-brokers/
    • doningtonphil
    • By doningtonphil 20th Sep 17, 11:10 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    doningtonphil
    Just come back from a holiday in Greece and it sems that all businesses there have to dispaly a notice saying that a receipt must be provided. You, as the customer,as well as the business owner could be fined if you were not in posession of a receipt. Alternatively, if you are not offered a receipt you can legally have the goods for free!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

2,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin