Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mountaindreams
    • By mountaindreams 15th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 3Thanks
    mountaindreams
    Self-employed vs limited company for pension
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    Self-employed vs limited company for pension 15th Sep 17 at 11:01 AM
    Hello,
    I am looking at starting to pay into a pension again. I am currently self-employed (sole trader) however was wondering if it is worth going down the limited company route from a pensions point of view.

I did have a limited company before I had my kids so I do have experience of running one. When I started working again after having my kids I decided to start off as Sole trader for simplicity and as I am working part time I didn't think there were significant advantages (certainly tax wise) of going limited company again.

How do pension payments work via limited company? Do both I and the company pay into it? I believe that payments the company makes would reduce my corporation tax liability.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 89,576 Posts
    • 56,036 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    however was wondering if it is worth going down the limited company route from a pensions point of view.
    it's usually worth going limited when you earn above £35K. An accountant will know the figure more accurately than me.

How do pension payments work via limited company? Do both I and the company pay into it?
    All retail pensions can accept personal or employer contributions. So, the pension itself will be no different. However, a limited company would use employer contributions only where its own company shareholding director.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

8,821Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin