Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 15th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 343Posts
    • 96Thanks
    tightasagnats
    Safe to turn on gas?
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    Safe to turn on gas? 15th Sep 17 at 10:09 AM
    I've just bought a house has gas and electric on prepayment meters and was empty for 3years having been rented out. I can't get a gas engineer out until Monday - but I'd like to see if I can get the boiler going - not to use yet but just to see if it works in theory!

Is there anything potentially dangerous in trying to switch on a combi that's been off for years?

I know system may be low on water etc, but could there be any issues with a gas supply other than a leak?

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 15th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 7,847 Posts
    • 1,814 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    I've just bought a house has gas and electric on prepayment meters and was empty for 3years having been rented out. I can't get a gas engineer out until Monday - but I'd like to see if I can get the boiler going - not to use yet but just to see if it works in theory!

Is there anything potentially dangerous in trying to switch on a combi that's been off for years?

I know system may be low on water etc, but could there be any issues with a gas supply other than a leak?

Many thanks.
    Originally posted by tightasagnats
    I would get it checked first/serviced by a competant gas safe registered plumber/engineer !!
    It should be safe but it will cost you about £75 for safetys sake
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 15-09-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 15th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 343 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    tightasagnats
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    Yes this isn't a money saving issue at all, I have an engineer coming Monday to check it for me but he was scheduled for today and had to rearrange. I'm in there this afternoon and desperate to see if the hot water might work !!! Gas meter man coming today also so will ask him to have a go perhaps.
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 15th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    If it has not been used for years, then it definitely needs a safety check first. Remember, CO is a silent killer.
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 15th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    Joyful
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    If it's not been used for 3 years make sure your supplier resets them. There will be 3 years worth of standing charges on each meter that you will not want to pay for.
    I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 15th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    If it's not been used for 3 years make sure your supplier resets them. There will be 3 years worth of standing charges on each meter that you will not want to pay for.
    Originally posted by Joyful
    Good advice.also check that the gas meter does not have "call help " on the screen.. If it has , its very likely that the gas meter has been tampered with.
    The electric prepayment meter should have the metal seal protecting the lower cover just above from where the cables enter the meter from below. If this is missing, examine carefully the centre screw for any signs whatever of marks on the slot.It should be pristine. The prepayment electric meter is often also tampered with and this centre screw could actually be live.
    Gas safe engineers and electricians do not know about these things neither do most meter readers or landlords, so new tenant should be aware.
    Thee years vacant the electric meter would show approx minus £300 on the first screen, with either a - sign or the word "debt " on screen A..True debt which could have been loaded onto the meter would be on screen "S "
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 15th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    tightasagnats
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    Thanks, yes it has a £350 debt but was cleared today and all good. Boiler working, guy was helpful. I have a carbon monoxide detector and boiler is outside in lean to which is well vented. All off now until engineer comes Monday, thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

754Posts Today

5,652Users online

Martin's Twitter