Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • omnipeta
    • By omnipeta 15th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 167Posts
    • 11Thanks
    omnipeta
    Fuming at Virgin!
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    Fuming at Virgin! 15th Sep 17 at 8:54 AM
    I have a mobile contract (Samsung Galaxy A3) with Virgin (£15 per month) my usual bill is £18, this month it was £114! I called them and they said I'd gone over my data usage?
    I explained to them (several times) that I never use the internet on my phone, I don't use apps, I only use the phone for the odd call or text.
    After talking to 2 reps they said they would call me back next day with a reply, needless to say they didn't!
    My question is, I haven't physically or IT wise signed any new contracts for 'years' can I just ask them to cancel my contract?
    I'm fuming and feel duped into believing they would call me back!
    Any advice appreciated, thank you.
Page 1
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 15th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 7,619 Posts
    • 5,485 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    ?Cancelling your contract doesn't deal with the outstanding bill, but of course, you can cancel at any time outside a minimum period.

Firstly, call and register a formal complaint about the failed promised call-backs. Make sure you make a note of the complaint number. Then ask precisely why the data charge is so high this month. don't be afraid to escalate the call if necessary. Don't agree to close the complaint until you're happy to.

Smartphones will connect themselves regularly to the internet to update apps and synchronise etc, this use data, but £114 worth sounds excessive unless you've been abroad.
    Last edited by pmduk; 15-09-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added final para
    • omnipeta
    • By omnipeta 15th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    omnipeta
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    Thanks pmduk, after speaking to 5 different reps and being put through to wrong dept I've finally given up as they have said bill must be paid!
    I am about to contact them again to cancel my contract.
    I hate giving in to these ba***rds but they have already DD the money so I feel I have no choice, I explained umpteen times that I don't use internet on my phone, ever, but just keep getting the same parrot mantra that "our records show: etc......
    Very annoying!
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 16th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    • 8,128 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Buzby
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    Their billing system is deemed accurate by OFCOM, so you need to see. Clarification as to what services are/were used, and if wrong, raise a complaint. Without this additional info, you're just whistling in the wind!
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 16th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    • 7,619 Posts
    • 5,485 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    You can keep saying that you don't use data, but an A3 does use data by default. it's important to ensure the mobile data is turned off in the settings.
    • Diesel44
    • By Diesel44 16th Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    Diesel44
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    Do you not have an online account where you can check your usage.
    I am on pay as you go with Virgin, once logged into my account it gives me a breakdown of texts sent, calls made and data used and the cost of each item.
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 17th Sep 17, 12:04 AM
    • 2,124 Posts
    • 1,322 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:04 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:04 AM
    Move to Tesco and then you can cap the out of bundle allowances at £0 or whatever you want (I have mine set at £5)
    baldly going on...
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 17th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    If you go on to the data usage on your phone's settings, it should show the data usage for previous months. Have you checked this to clarify if your phone used data?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

509Posts Today

4,968Users online

Martin's Twitter