Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 15th Sep 17, 7:12 AM
    • 1,738Posts
    • 4,571Thanks
    northwest1965
    Wiltshire?
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:12 AM
    Wiltshire? 15th Sep 17 at 7:12 AM
    I have searched the forum but only old threads are coming up.

I am looking into buying these ready meals for my Mum. What are peoples thoughts on Wiltshire. I also know of Oakhouse...again any thoughts?

My Dad has a large appetite, are the meals sufficient

Thanks
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
Page 1
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    • 9,982 Posts
    • 55,951 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    Hi.....I tried them for my dad after mum died. I thought they were good, but of course, he turned his nose up......he was just fussy and spoilt by my mums cooking.

I think they do two different portion sizes, one for "smaller appetites" and one "normal". I would think that if your dad has a particularly large appetite then maybe they might be a bit on the small side. Maybe he would need some extra "padding" such as a bread roll, jacket potato, or side salad or maybe start with soup or add a pudding.

TBH I think you are probably just as well with buying ordinary supermarket ones. I think the likes of Marks and Spencer's are pretty good quality and not too expensive and their portion sizes are quite generous.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 15-09-2017 at 8:35 AM.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 15th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,951 Posts
    • 9,040 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    My Mum used Wiltshire for a short while, after she came out of hospital.

The meals are not too bad, you only need order what you want and they are delivered right into the freezer if you want!

The meals come in different sizes...as well as the 'standard' meal, they do mini-meals for a small appetite and 'hearty' options for those who like a big portion.

Marks and Spencer do wonderful ready meals...and again do various sizes.....but they don't deliver. (I wish they did!)
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 15th Sep 17, 8:41 AM
    • 6,083 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:41 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:41 AM
    Hi,

do you not have a local 'meals on wheels', food delivered daily by volunteers, think it's cooked in a local school kitchen, so fresh daily.

Not sure about weekends and holidays though.
    Y'all take care now.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 15th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 3,719 Posts
    • 2,382 Thanks
    alanq
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    Hi,

do you not have a local 'meals on wheels', food delivered daily by volunteers, think it's cooked in a local school kitchen, so fresh daily.

Not sure about weekends and holidays though.
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    The OP is asking about suppliers of ready meals to be cooked by the customer .

Some local authorities use the services of apetito for delivery of hot meals. It does deliver every day of the year. One can arrange deliveries oneself without local authority involvement.
    Last edited by alanq; 15-09-2017 at 9:52 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • margaretclare
    • By margaretclare 15th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 10,255 Posts
    • 17,048 Thanks
    margaretclare
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    We've had Oakhouse meals, not Wiltshire.

We liked Oakhouse because they offer a 'mini-meals' option, which is fine for us. Not as cheap as we can make ourselves - £3 - £4 per meal so that's £8 a meal for us both. They were useful and convenient but we don't need them now.

Where I live locally there is no more 'meals on wheels' from the LA. Many local cafes will deliver. There's also an independent meals provider recently started up along the lines of what 'meals on wheels' used to do, but they're not cheap either.
    Ær ic wisdom funde, ær wearð ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 15th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    • 28,213 Posts
    • 71,773 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    Does this service exist anywhere these days?

In our area, it's been replaced by a weekly visit when seven commercially-produced frozen meals are put in the freezer. The client or a carer is expected to microwave the meal.

Almost everyone has to pay towards the cost of the service.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Sep 17, 11:48 AM
    • 37,654 Posts
    • 33,965 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:48 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:48 AM
    Cook. They have some shops, and they home deliver (but not daily). Expensive, but great. The sleeves even say who cooked them, AND they sell ceramic dishes which fit their meals. So you can, if you need to, heat and serve in the ceramic dish and say it was made by Fred or whoever.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • alanq
    • By alanq 15th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 3,719 Posts
    • 2,382 Thanks
    alanq
    • 15th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    Out of interest what advantages are there for weekly deliveries of ready meals from the likes of Wiltshire over ordering ready meal deliveries from major supermarkets?

"free delivery" just means included in the price.

The only advantage that springs out at me is that they offer the option of ordering by phone rather than solely online.
    Last edited by alanq; 15-09-2017 at 1:41 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • chesky
    • By chesky 15th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    chesky
    Agree 100% about the COOK shops but I don't think they're nationwide. The meals are light years ahead of anything similar and there's a huge range.
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 15th Sep 17, 3:18 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 4,571 Thanks
    northwest1965

Some local authorities use the services of apetito for delivery of hot meals. It does deliver every day of the year. One can arrange deliveries oneself without local authority involvement.
    Originally posted by alanq
    Not available in our area, they send me to Wiltshire

I will have a look at Asda ready Meals (they have a delivery from them already & M&S
    I live 125 miles from them, so delivery has to be the only option
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 5,491 Posts
    • 6,695 Thanks
    Farway
    Not available in our area, they send me to Wiltshire

I will have a look at Asda ready Meals (they have a delivery from them already & M&S
    I live 125 miles from them, so delivery has to be the only option
    Originally posted by northwest1965
    Is there an Icleand nearby? They deliver, free if over £35 on line. Free if selected in store over £20, but this varies from time to time And obviously loads of choice

Plus Iceland have Bonus card, for which you get £1 for every £20 you load on it
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Agree 100% about the COOK shops but I don't think they're nationwide. The meals are light years ahead of anything similar and there's a huge range.
    Originally posted by chesky
    I've just had a look and they are somewhat different; not looking like Meals on Wheels, which my late father had (I thought they looked awful, but he said they tasted ok, though he was not fussy having lived through a war.)

However, there are few meals to appeal tome, as I don't like pasta,spicy food or additions such as mustard and peppers.

At the moment though they are very reasonable with a welcome £5 off then three meals for two people for £18.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Some of Aldi's ready meals ( cooled or frozen) are good; roast dinner, cottage pie etc and cheap.

I've never tasted Wiltshire meals, but can say that they are a generous company.

Some years ago, I approached them for a donation for a health related charity's annual raffle and they donated 4 x£25 vouchers . I notice that they are still making the annual donation.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 16th Sep 17, 12:58 AM
    • 37,654 Posts
    • 33,965 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Originally posted by chesky
    No, there aren't many shops but I get the impression that you can order anywhere. From their FAQs:
    Local Delivery:

Yes, you do need to be in to receive your delivery because the food will not arrive in insulated packaging.
    National Home Delivery:

You don't need to be in because the food arrives in insulated packaging that resembles a mini freezer. You do need however to fill out the 'delivery instructions' box at the checkout so that the delivery driver knows where is a safe place to put it, or which neighbour to leave it with.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,364Posts Today

7,847Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin