Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tbar
    • By Tbar 14th Sep 17, 9:45 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tbar
    Ryanair cancelled flight
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:45 PM
    Ryanair cancelled flight 14th Sep 17 at 9:45 PM
    Hi guys,

Sorry if I'm posting a question that's been asked a million times but I'm in France
    And have limited data to search the forum.

My girlfriend and I are on a short holiday to France. We got Ryanair flights Stansted - Bordeaux 10/09/17 and return 15th (£9.99 each way - bargain!). This afternoon (14th) we got an SMS to say our flight had been cancelled and to rebook or get a refund. We have rebooked for Saturday (16th) at no extra cost (more expensive flight, still with Ryanair).

I'm wondering what sort of compensation we are entitled to? I know the airline has a duty of care toward us - accommodation + food. But is there any compensation for the inconvenience caused or reasonable entertainment and travel costs? We now have another day of holiday that isn't planned, can we buy more underwear and claim it back? We were going to get a lift home from the airport with my parents for free but now that is not possible so we'll have to get a taxi, can we claim this back? What can we ask for / expect from the airline desk at the airport and what do we have to claim back at a later date? In terms of food, do we get vouchers for specific places or money or just a form for claiming back?

Also in terms of compensation we both have travel insurance (need to check the fine print) but I believe they have compensation for delayed/ cancelled flights. By claiming from Ryanair, does this negate our insurance or can we claim on both?

Thanks so much for reading
    Tbar.

P.s. My girlfriend has just seen on the news about strikes at French airports so I guess this is the reason for the cancellation.
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 14th Sep 17, 9:54 PM
    • 10,848 Posts
    • 7,076 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:54 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:54 PM
    P.s. My girlfriend has just seen on the news about strikes at French airports so I guess this is the reason for the cancellation.
    Originally posted by Tbar
    If cancellation is related to the strikes then their is no EU261 compensation payable (only duty of care) best to check your travel insurance to see whether it covers anything for this
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 14th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Tyzap
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    Tbar,

Keep all your receipt for any extra reasonable costs that you incur, excluding alcohol and entertainment etc. They should arrange and pay for your hotel and meals if not claim it all back with receipts.

Enjoy your extra day of enforced holiday and you can sort the rest out when you get home.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • Tbar
    • By Tbar 14th Sep 17, 11:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tbar
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:45 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:45 PM
    Thanks for the advice.

A little update:
    Saturday's flight has just been cancelled. Sunday's flight is fully booked. We're now booked onto a flight on Monday morning. Grumble!
    • TuesdayGirl
    • By TuesdayGirl 15th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TuesdayGirl
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    Ryanair Cancellations
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    Ryanair have cancelled a raft of flights currently. I've lost a flight on Saturday to Alicante from Manchester, flights from Bristol and Birmingham to the same destination have been cancelled. The Ryanair help desk muttered something about French strikes, but strangely enough these are not affecting the other airlines travelling from and to these locations? I've taken a screen shot of Alicante's flight schedule proving this. Ryanair are also travelling from Leeds and Liverpool to Alicante....confusing?

Can an airline deny compensation because of industrial action, when in fact it hasn't affected other airlines? I'm going to give this one a go as it's the second time this has happened to me this year, the only two times I've flown with Ryanair. NOT a good track record...
    • TuesdayGirl
    • By TuesdayGirl 15th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TuesdayGirl
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    ...it also winds me up that the only flight I was able to change to to get to my destination on time, was also massively cheaper when I booked the flights and for some reason Ryanair have charged me to change. Only £2 admittedly, but it's the principle. :-(
    • JPears
    • By JPears 15th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 3,273 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    JPears
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    You may have to go to court to see if Ryanair are telling the truth.
    It could be that aircraft are out of place due to French strikes but your actual flight is NOT directly affected. But its easier for RA to be economical with the truth and fob peolple off, knowing that only a few will chase up the possible truth and suceed in getting compensation. Its a numbers game.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,782Posts Today

8,952Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin