Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stejens
    • By stejens 14th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    stejens
    Need advice on problems at the garage
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    Need advice on problems at the garage 14th Sep 17 at 9:34 PM
    Hello all, I am seeking advice on what to do next about problems at the car mechanic.
    I own a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 (17 years old), 80k miles on the clock, cost me £475 originally through a friend and ran like a dream.

I broke down, got towed to the local garage who told me that it has a blown head gasket and will cost me £400 to repair. I thought this was worth it as during the year I had already paid for a whole new exhaust, oil/fuel filters and other bits and pieces, so I told him to go ahead and do the work.
    They rang me a few days later to say that they skimmed the warped head and put everything back together with new head gasket and the car would not start, they said the starter motor burnt out when they tried to turn it over so they chucked in a used one from a scrap car they had (they are also breakers), and eventually got it started only to find out the valve pressures where not right, they then told me they checked the head again and that it had a crack in the head.
    My option was to pay them £75 (half price) for a used head from a different model car, they told me it's half price due to the issues they have had and the extra waiting time. I paid the extra £75 (which now totals more than the cars worth) and then got the car back from them.

After driving around for a day it was pouring out smoke from the exhaust, filling up the street, the power was different than before and caused many power issues on gear changes, also it sounded very clicky, I checked the oil and it said empty, so I put in half a litre and checked 5 mins later...still said empty. I checked underneath and there was no leak, so I put in a whole litre of oil and the stick still said empty, at this point I took it back and explained the issue, they said they will find the problem and fix it for free due to warranty. They told me it was the valve seals, and that they put new ones on for free aswell as a new head gasket! (which i originally paid them for anyway). and another week without the car.

When I collected it the 2nd time, they told me of the work they had done and that it seems to be fine now, but to drive it for a few days to test. So I drove it around over the weekend and still had exactly the same problems as before, only this time the power was now even less, it also trickled along at about 2/4mph in gear 1 after traffic lights, until I just had to put it in gear 2 and slam my foot down to get it going. It was also still smoking but not as much as before. I checked the oil when I collected the car as they said they had topped it up, but the stick still told me empty, and after putting in another half litre this time round...still said empty, but no leak underneath.

They had admitted a few times that they messed up when working on it, which is why I got a half price head and no charge to fit the seals.

Now I take it back for the 3rd time, and this is what I am told..."We think we know where the problem is now and it's coming from the bottom, so what we can do is charge you another £150 for a complete full engine from another car that they can get from a trusted scrapyard, who has run the other car around and works fine"!!! and that they will fit it for free because of them messing up.
    I was shocked and told them I don't really like the sound of that but is that my only option, to which they replied "well the 2nd option is we can get the parts for the bottom of the engine which will cost around 150-200 for the part itself and fix it for free, and that there is no guarantee it fully fixes the problem, so my best option is this used engine from a different model that is 4 years newer than mine".
    Again "due to miss-diagnosis, the work is free" exact words.

So this would total about £675-£725 (for a car worth about £450).

At first I figured if that is my only option and will guarantee the car works, then do the job.

Now I just spoke to my insurance and asked how it will affect my insurance, they told me that unless it's an exact make and model, an exact swap, that my car will be un-insurable.

Which leaves me feeling hopeless, and I have until morning to find a solution, so that I can call the garage with.

Please help
    Last edited by stejens; 14-09-2017 at 9:41 PM.
Page 2
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 15th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 807 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    OP, your insurance is not a problem, listen to what has been said.

Your probelm is the garage. Focus on that.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • stejens
    • By stejens 15th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stejens
    If the engine is replaced like-for-like, you will NOT BE UNINSURED.

What is the answer you want us to give you? If you just tell us what you want to hear, we can all regurgitate it to you so you feel validated and then we can all move on.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Does not matter what you tell me, the insurance are not having any of it!!!! SIMPLE
    • stejens
    • By stejens 15th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stejens
    OP, your insurance is not a problem, listen to what has been said.

Your probelm is the garage. Focus on that.
    Originally posted by Sam Fallow
    Yes, but this is part of the problem. I agree with what is said but the insurance company does not, regarding the engine, not the bloody tyre or oil. So it's figuring out what to do with the garage now If I told them not to put the engine in.

But I told them too anyway cause f*** it I give up.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 15th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Yes, but this is part of the problem. I agree with what is said but the insurance company does not, regarding the engine, not the bloody tyre or oil. So it's figuring out what to do with the garage now If I told them not to put the engine in.

But I told them too anyway cause f*** it I give up.
    Originally posted by stejens
    Why not ask the same question of the financial ombudsman service if you don't feel happy about ignoring the call centre advice?

If it's the exact same engine as goes into the Astra, then it's like for like.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 4,587 Posts
    • 3,991 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Does not matter what you tell me, the insurance are not having any of it!!!! SIMPLE

Fine. If you're not going to listen, then I'm out. You've been told the situation, but it's not what you want to hear.

Try Mumsnet.
    • takman
    • By takman 15th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    takman
    Did you not read my post?. You don't understand yourself that engines from different models can have the exact same engine code and be the exact same engine.

You then rang your insurance trying to explain something you don't understand so it's not surprising you got an incorrect answer!.

But I'm not going to explain it any further the only person will loose out because of your ignorance is yourself.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 15th Sep 17, 5:26 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    angrycrow
    Whilst op does not specifically identify the engine code a 2000 Astra is likely to be the 1.6l 87bhp engine designated Z16SE.

The 2004 Meriva 1.6 87bhp uses engine designation Z16SE.

They are the same engine so no need to inform your insurers, this is not a modification it is replacement of a part with a matching spec second hand part same as if the engine came out of a matching Astra.
    • stejens
    • By stejens 15th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stejens
    Whilst op does not specifically identify the engine code a 2000 Astra is likely to be the 1.6l 87bhp engine designated Z16SE.

The 2004 Meriva 1.6 87bhp uses engine designation Z16SE.

They are the same engine so no need to inform your insurers, this is not a modification it is replacement of a part with a matching spec second hand part same as if the engine came out of a matching Astra.
    Originally posted by angrycrow
    I'm not sure of the code, and my books in the car at the garage, thanks for clearer answer though.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 16th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 10,687 Posts
    • 6,980 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Fine. If you're not going to listen, then I'm out. You've been told the situation, but it's not what you want to hear.

Try Mumsnet.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    How is the motoring forum over there?
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 16th Sep 17, 8:19 AM
    • 4,587 Posts
    • 3,991 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    How is the motoring forum over there?
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Primed and ready to tell any poster what they want to hear.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    Have Mumsnet posters been migrating to MSE?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 16th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 3,787 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    Hilarious. You don't get professionals working in garages. Professional means training, exams, honesty, standards, regulation.
    Originally posted by fred246
    Your sweeping brush still needs some work.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    Having worked in a couple of garages in my life and having dealing with many garages regarding repairs on my own car, and my family and friend's cars then i'm inclined to agree.

Plenty of "fitters" (people who remove faulty parts and replace with new parts) in garages but very few professionals
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 16th Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Having worked in a couple of garages in my life and having dealing with many garages regarding repairs on my own car, and my family and friend's cars then i'm inclined to agree.

Plenty of "fitters" (people who remove faulty parts and replace with new parts) in garages but very few professionals
    Originally posted by Retrogamer
    But Mr Sweeper is saying there aren't ANY.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 16th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 10,687 Posts
    • 6,980 Thanks
    bigadaj
    But Mr Sweeper is saying there aren't ANY.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    So who is the professional in a garage?
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 16th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    Ectophile
    So who is the professional in a garage?
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    The accountant.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • DELLBOY
    • By DELLBOY 16th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    DELLBOY
    Youve taken your car to a garage which is also a scrap yard ,
    It is possible that a head change could put undue pressure on the lower engine ,ask for a compresion check .
    if your still not happy scrap it .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,865Posts Today

9,183Users online

Martin's Twitter