Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rog4632
    • By Rog4632 14th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Rog4632
    advice please open plan or keep room
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    advice please open plan or keep room 14th Sep 17 at 9:30 PM
    Hi guys Im thinking of doing some work at my house, current layout is 2 fairly large reception rooms with a small kitchen. I might be looking to sell up in the future, what do you think would be better in terms of selling and more value. keeping the kitchen/reception room as it is or breaking through the 2nd reception and making a large open plan kitchen diner.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 14th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    • 23,747 Posts
    • 66,092 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    You won't add much in the way of value because it costs money to do and you're not creating any more space, but most people seem to like eating in their kitchens these days.

There will be people that don't, so you're always better off pleasing yourself than others. I only know one family that hasn't knocked through or extended to create one big room.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 15th Sep 17, 12:13 AM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 15th Sep 17, 12:13 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 12:13 AM
    I only know one family that hasn't knocked through or extended to create one big room.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    My kitchen was originally 2mx2.5m and was then extended in the 70s to 3.5mx2.5m. Still pretty small and very limited in space to have an eating area, and certainly not one large enough for a family.

The adjoining dining room is quite spacious (typical of many 1930s builds), and although the wall separating the two rooms is not structural, I wouldn't take it out. Removing the wall would leave a very awkward shaped room and do little to enhance the value or appeal.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 15th Sep 17, 7:25 AM
    • 2,420 Posts
    • 2,707 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:25 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:25 AM
    Given that you already have another living room, yes I'd absolutely do this if you're planning to stay a few more years.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 15th Sep 17, 7:36 AM
    • 29,803 Posts
    • 17,818 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:36 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:36 AM
    To make it work you would probably need to be redoing the kitchen anyway and be able to improve that considerably.

By taking out the wall what will loose those cabinets and with a small kitchen you will need to find space for others in the new bigger room

How does the flow to other rooms and outside work any utility space or could you create something.

What other doors/windows will be restricting layout options
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 15th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 3,097 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    If you remove a wall you're effectively taking away a kitchen wall that has cabinets etc on it - where are you going to put those cabinets?

Personally I prefer a separate dining room - if we have guests (and even if we don't) I really don't like eating surrounded by either the inevitable mess or the sounds of the dishwasher.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 15th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    As already suggested, just arrange the house to your tastes.

I prefer a kitchen-diner, but I don't have a dishwasher and I don't leave mess.

I would prefer a separate dining room only if my house was so large that I wouldn't miss the space. Most dining rooms are underutilised space.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 15th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 7,330 Posts
    • 12,157 Thanks
    andrewf75
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    Open plan kitchen diner all the way. The occasional person like above prefers separate kitchen but that is very much against the trend.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 15th Sep 17, 5:23 PM
    • 7,464 Posts
    • 7,850 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:23 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:23 PM
    I prefer a separate kitchen! I know I'm not typical.

If you are selling soon I doubt you will add value unless the kitchen is really too small to be usable for the size of house.

Can you move the wall between the two so you keep a second reception room, albeit a bit smaller, which may be popular as a study rather than a formal dining room, and still have a larger kitchen ?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 15th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    I prefer a separate kitchen too, we are very lucky that our kitchen is big enough to eat in. Our dining room only gets used at Christmas and for special occasions but I like it like that.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 16th Sep 17, 5:54 PM
    • 16,134 Posts
    • 59,954 Thanks
    mum2one
    Separate kitchen for me x
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 43/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin