Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 14th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 451Posts
    • 90Thanks
    justaquestion
    Bathroom basin not draining properly.
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    Bathroom basin not draining properly. 14th Sep 17 at 9:24 PM
    Hi folks,

I have one of those vanity units in bathroom and the basin on it has one of those screw in push down to seal plugs, push again to let water away.

I have noticed when I fill basin a little, say to shave, the water goes away very very slowly, I know the design of the plug probably just lets the water drain away around the sides of plug, not like the old plug where the whole drain hole is uncovered.

I have unscrewed the plug a little so that water has more room to drain, but doesn't make much of a difference.

Funny thing is if I remove plug completely and say let both taps run, than water seems to drain away normal enough.

I think the plug hole is about 35mm diameter so wonder if I can try an old style plug?

Another thing is, could it be some sort of air lock problem, or maybe waste needs to be checked for dirt?

Advice appreciated,
    Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by justaquestion; 14-09-2017 at 9:26 PM.
Page 1
    • macman
    • By macman 15th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 41,344 Posts
    • 16,998 Thanks
    macman
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    Tried a sink plunger?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 15th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,305 Posts
    • 1,238 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    I had the same issue with at my last house. I replaced the bolt that secures the plug to the support for a longer piece, cut to length with a hacksaw. Sat about 0.5cm higher when up, and was fine.

I hate those drains.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 15th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    Try pouring water into the overflow, if this is blocked then that's your problem, as the overflow does more than prevent the sink overflowing, it also equalises pressure before the U bend in the same way as piercing the base of a bottle makes the contents flow without "glugging".
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 15th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    • 23,934 Posts
    • 50,635 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    We have a 'clicker' waste on our bathroom sink. It gets bunged up. I found the easiest way to clean it was to take it out and hold it under the running tap while operating it repeatedly and also brushing with an old toothbrush. This works for a while but it soon blocks again. I wouldn't have another. TBH we just leave it out because now we don't need the basin to hold water.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

2,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin