Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steve_jones
    • By steve_jones 14th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    steve_jones
    Signs of a serious viewer
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    Signs of a serious viewer 14th Sep 17 at 7:27 PM
    Hi,

Just had a viewing on my property, the viewer bought a family member around aswel, is there any signs of a serious viewer and what to look out for?
Page 2
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 23,128 Posts
    • 88,484 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Until contracts are signed, I take everything with a pinch of salt no matter how "serious" they have been. In England that is the only clue that you've actually got the place sold.
    Originally posted by Mutton Geoff
    I think you mean 'exchanged',' but I agree.

Some of our most enthusiastic viewers never returned, and one who did at least 3 viewings dropped us without so much as word of explanation just before exchange.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 15th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 6,338 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    We've sold a few 'quirky' and/or historic properties, including one that had been built in Tudor times then dismantled piece by piece in the 1930s and relocated to a different part of the county.

These have attracted their fair share of nosey, non-serious viewers when the time came to sell. We had one pair that admitted they'd always wanted to see inside, that they thought it was like being on a film set and they believed it was haunted.......it wasn't, but they were noticeably jumpy and you could see they had convinced themselves

Tbh, when selling we've often done so fairly quickly - first day on market, within ten days etc - or else the house has been so 'marmite', we've only had a handful of viewings in the six months it took to find a buyer, so the serious ones have tended to stand out. In seven sales we've never had more than six viewings before we accepted an offer. Till now

With our current sale every viewing has taken at least an hour, but as there's a lot to see here that's really no indication of the particular viewer's seriousness.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 15th Sep 17, 12:05 PM
    • 4,826 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    A really serious viewer will most likely be upfront about offering under asking price.
    • Bluebell1000
    • By Bluebell1000 15th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    Bluebell1000
    For our last two purchases, we made an offer directly to the sellers at the viewing. That was probably a good clue that we were serious
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 15th Sep 17, 1:33 PM
    • 3,711 Posts
    • 7,474 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    A really serious viewer will most likely be upfront about offering under asking price.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    This really is one of your more random unconnected musings - and that's saying something!

Cheer up, Trashy, it may never happe... ... Oh, I forget, you've been wanting "it", whatever the megadisaster is, to happen for the past gazillion years. ... and learned nothing in the meantime!

{.. and yet, on another thread, I actually agree with the miserable curmudgeon! Must go and get some more pills....}
    Last edited by DaftyDuck; 15-09-2017 at 1:36 PM.
    • SeduLOUs
    • By SeduLOUs 15th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    SeduLOUs
    I absolutely loved the last house I viewed and did make an offer. But I didn't let on how much I loved it and spent more time asking about flaws then mentioning the good stuff as I wanted it under asking price. Appearing desperate would have chipped away at my bargaining power - better to let the vendor believe I might walk away. It's all just tactics. The house sale is going through at the price I wanted it for.
    • RedfordML
    • By RedfordML 15th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    RedfordML
    Anyone who shows no interest, asks zero questions

No such thing as serious viewer unless money is offered at the end?
    • sulphate
    • By sulphate 15th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    sulphate
    We completed on our house sale & purchase last month. We got 2 offers on our house, both of the viewers took time walking round the house, asking questions and making positive noises. I didn't see all the viewers but I remember one couple that probably stayed here less than 5 minutes and clearly weren't very interested.

Honestly though, the whole thing took 6 months to complete and the one thing I learnt was that getting an offer is the easy bit.
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 15th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    NicNicP
    We viewed our new house before our house was even on the market. Our second viewing was the day before ours went on right move. Suppose we could've been classed as not serious viewers. We had our offer accepted less then 24 hours after ours was advertised on right move!
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 16th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    robatwork
    that they thought it was like being on a film set and they believed it was haunted
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    Were they about 9 years old?

.......it wasn't,
    Well you didn't need to say it. Nowhere is.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 16th Sep 17, 10:39 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 6,338 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Were they about 9 years old?

Well you didn't need to say it. Nowhere is.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    Of course not......more like mid-fifties, but they presented as Daily Fail types. So rather infantile, imho.

Completely agree, but I'm sure there are a few people - here and elsewhere - that wouldn't and would swear blind that ghosts exist, lol
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 17th Sep 17, 8:57 AM
    • 4,826 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    This really is one of your more random unconnected musings - and that's saying something!

Cheer up, Trashy, it may never happe... ... Oh, I forget, you've been wanting "it", whatever the megadisaster is, to happen for the past gazillion years. ... and learned nothing in the meantime!

{.. and yet, on another thread, I actually agree with the miserable curmudgeon! Must go and get some more pills....}
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck

Most sellers will encounter offers lower than they would like now, that wasn`t happening a few years ago, people can squawk all they like about how great the house is and of course they like the price, but if the bank values it lower that is it for most people.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 17th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    robatwork
    Completely agree, but I'm sure there are a few people - here and elsewhere - that wouldn't and would swear blind that ghosts exist, lol
    Some of them in positions of power and responsibility unfortunately.

Brrrrr...feeling cold in here all of a sudden. The ghost of Crashy's house price crash just passed through.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 17th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 4,826 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/house-price-crash-expected-w8snh8d9f

Lots of people feeling the chill......
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 61,033 Thanks
    kittie
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    yes crashy time and the result is no new houses on the market in my defined area. I have been looking for two weeks and will be a serious cash buyer when I view, however the seller will never know because I will be silent, unless I have questions. I will have done my homework, very thoroughly and will never be a time waster.

People are too twitchy to make that move. Personally I will sell at whatever price sells my property, I am realistic. I suppose a sellers or buyers dream but they don`t know it, they are all in their bunkers and I am not selling, until I have bought one first, so the market remains, stagnant
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th Sep 17, 1:02 PM
    • 4,826 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    yes crashy time and the result is no new houses on the market in my defined area. I have been looking for two weeks and will be a serious cash buyer when I view, however the seller will never know because I will be silent, unless I have questions. I will have done my homework, very thoroughly and will never be a time waster.

People are too twitchy to make that move. Personally I will sell at whatever price sells my property, I am realistic. I suppose a sellers or buyers dream but they don`t know it, they are all in their bunkers and I am not selling, until I have bought one first, so the market remains, stagnant
    Originally posted by kittie

Yep, but a "stagnant" market in anything does not benefit the financial movers and shakers, so they will have to make it move in one direction or the other, so as we have had the "Boom" (I would call it a disaster for ordinary people really) we now need the opposite (insert word of choice here)
    • kittie
    • By kittie 18th Sep 17, 1:14 PM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 61,033 Thanks
    kittie
    with a bit of luck and a fair wind, there will be some stamp duty incentive to encourage large house owners to downsize, maybe that will shake things up. The market is so quiet now that there will be an almoighty release of built up pressure in due course
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 4,826 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    with a bit of luck and a fair wind, there will be some stamp duty incentive to encourage large house owners to downsize, maybe that will shake things up. The market is so quiet now that there will be an almoighty release of built up pressure in due course
    Originally posted by kittie

Yes, and that will be a thing of beauty to behold indeed!
    • pleasedelete
    • By pleasedelete 18th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 3,537 Thanks
    pleasedelete
    I saw 1 house only from outside. Offered on another in the garden after 5 minutes and bought the current one after 10minutes with no agent details as a private sale.

Location, location, location.

Anyone who brings a tape measure to a 1st or indeed 2nd viewing is ridiculous in my book- you don't judge whether buy a house based on whether your sofa will fit.

An agent one told me that if viewers start talking abut where to put their own furniture they never buy- they are just trying to justify viewing/be nice.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,462Posts Today

6,917Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin