Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steve_jones
    • By steve_jones 14th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    steve_jones
    Signs of a serious viewer
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    Signs of a serious viewer 14th Sep 17 at 7:27 PM
    Hi,

Just had a viewing on my property, the viewer bought a family member around aswel, is there any signs of a serious viewer and what to look out for?
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 14th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 1,689 Posts
    • 3,483 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    They'll be carrying a yellow rose and a copy of the Financial Times under their right arm.
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 14th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    Mickygg
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    IMO you can't tell if any first viewing is serious. I have been told before when selling that the family want to come round as they know the road and are very interested in the house......only to be told it's not the road for them!!

You just won't know which one is serious unless they put an offer in.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 6,134 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    Not really. There are properties I've viewed which I already knew ticked all the boxes, so I probably wouldn't have spent much time or asked many questions. Why are you trying to guess whether they're a "serious viewer" anyway? A serious viewer might not like your property, a silly viewer might buy it.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 14th Sep 17, 7:44 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:44 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:44 PM
    We had three offers and I predicted all three. I could just tell they genuinely liked the place. They were pretty enthusiastic compared to all the other viewers who said the right things but were giving nothing away.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 14th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    • 3,998 Posts
    • 4,346 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    Just read this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73100762#post73100762

What it proves is that you can't tell who is a serious viewer. Just accept some viewers will be nosey !!!!!!s (who may conversely look very interested) and the ones looking disinterested may well be your buyer.

Alone, en famille, young, old, male, female, quick, slow...if you're selling you have to assume they are all "the one".
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 14th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    What pumpkin said.
    I think viewers spending longer in your property, making positive comments, speaking as though they were imagining themselves living there and generally appearing enthusiastic are all good signs. Also, buyers who say they are in a good position to buy - ie no house to sell, or offer already accepted on their existing property, deposit in place, mortgage in principle agreed, etc.
    But then you'll always get people who don't give anything away - they may be keeping their best poker face to try drive a better bargain later.
    • freeisgood
    • By freeisgood 14th Sep 17, 8:32 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    freeisgood
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:32 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:32 PM
    During first/second viewing... bringing a tape measure and making notes/taking photos of plug socket positions. Very good sign.
    • steve_jones
    • By steve_jones 14th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    steve_jones
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    Thanks for the replies, the viewer was asking the usual questions:
    What are the neighbors like?
    Do you hear any noise?
    Why are you selling?
    Asking information about the hearing etc.

It is hard to judge if someones genuine unless they obviously give it away.

The way I see house viewing is these days with the internet everyone has all the information to hand. So a viewer should know if they are serious when booking a viewing. As long as the EA has provided a decent description, photos and the price is fine then there should be little to put people off when they turn up to view. Especially if the area is nice and the property has been cleaned and tidied.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 14th Sep 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Our two viewers from last week, one had a house to sell that wasn't even on the market yet, and the other clearly hadn't done her homework. She couldn't remember the list price and was in and out in 10 minutes. Neither serious.
    Taking notes, that's another good one from freeisgood. We've just accepted an offer on ours again and the couple made notes - they had seen 6 properties that day though, so probably needed to just to remember details of each one separately!
    Those questions are definitely questions you would ask if you had decided you liked the property and were seriously considering buying it. Fingers crossed for you!
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 14th Sep 17, 10:12 PM
    • 1,169 Posts
    • 3,139 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    Last time we were in the market to buy I took a clipboard to take notes, a camera to take pictures and had a list of questions I wanted to ask. Some were actually answered in the listing but I wanted to hear the owner/estate agent answer them (we often got a different story!) As we were moving countries we got as many viewings in as we could spread across a long weekend. Some we were very interested in, some we might have been persuaded about and others were really non-starters but as we were in the area already we filled our schedule.

Notes were taken in all of them, photos were taken (with permission) and questions were asked in all of them but there was really no way of telling which ones we were actually interested in. In fact the property we ended up buying had the fewest notes and least questions asked of them all.

Everyone is different, you won't know if buyers are serious until an offer comes in. And sometimes not even then.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Sep 17, 10:24 PM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    They probably won`t be wearing a HPC T-Shirt.....
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 14th Sep 17, 10:28 PM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 7,719 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    The thing about HPC T-Shirts is..... none of the members ever gets round to buying one.......

• gazter
    • By gazter 14th Sep 17, 11:26 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    gazter
    The thing about HPC T-Shirts is..... none of the members ever gets round to buying one.......

Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    Boom!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 15th Sep 17, 7:20 AM
    • 3,240 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Just read this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73100762#post73100762

What it proves is that you can't tell who is a serious viewer. Just accept some viewers will be nosey !!!!!!s (who may conversely look very interested) and the ones looking disinterested may well be your buyer.

Alone, en famille, young, old, male, female, quick, slow...if you're selling you have to assume they are all "the one".
    Originally posted by robatwork
    In some parts of the country EAs/sellers are plagued by people who view houses for fun. We have this problem in Devon/Cornwall with cute chocolate box thatched cottages. Lots of viewers who just want to look around but are not in the market to buy.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 15th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 7,719 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    In some parts of the country EAs/sellers are plagued by people who view houses for fun. We have this problem in Devon/Cornwall with cute chocolate box thatched cottages. Lots of viewers who just want to look around but are not in the market to buy.
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Had that experience selling a timber framed grade 1 listed building in Lavenham! I should have opened a gift shop. That's the one I have bored people with the " .. ... are there g..h..o..s..t..s...? " tale ( I created one, rather too well, and scared the carp outta them).

As to the OPs question, you simply can't tell. I have also told the tale of the Sister Wendy Beckett (Google for an image) lookalike, who literally wandered backwards throughout the viewing, just asking questions about me.

When I shoved her out, I swore blindly at my wife that she was a f waste of f time and wouldn't f ever f ff fff, the f!

She bought at asking price, only a valuation survey. She'd fallen in love with the house at first sight, didn't care in the slightest about damp, carpets, lighting, she just was having the house. Eccentric, yes! Rich though!

You can't tell. Way I'm dressed at the moment, you wouldn't think I could afford a tiny semi....
    • phillw
    • By phillw 15th Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    phillw
    I think viewers spending longer in your property, making positive comments, speaking as though they were imagining themselves living there and generally appearing enthusiastic are all good signs.
    Originally posted by Natbag
    I know people that will be like that out of courtesy. Observing viewers behaviour will only tell you things about the viewer, not whether they are interested or not.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Sep 17, 8:27 AM
    • 23,584 Posts
    • 89,442 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    I imagine that applies in most pretty, touristy locations, but such viewers' reception depends a lot on local circumstances. In the well-known, desirable parts of Devon, unproceedables may be treated brusquely, but where I am, things aren't so buoyant.

Backalong, we spent 3 years researching places in West Wales and viewing properties there. In that slow-moving market, people welcomed us. We knew that we could probably sell our house in a fraction of the time they would expect to wait, so we felt OK about it. We were travelling upwards of 250miles a day or renting cottages to do it, but I doubt if anybody cared about that.

So it was 'fun,' but fun with a purpose. How would we otherwise know what represented a good buy, when we'd never owned a smallholding or gained a good understanding of the area, with all its social nuances ?

We did come close to buying several properties and made offers at sensible levels, but the knowledge we gained was also what put us off stretching to pay inflated prices. That's why we're here, not there.....and why we don't live in a dark, heat-leaky, old cottage.

If and when we sell our place, I'm sure we'll get plenty of interest from totally unsuitable people, but they'll all get the same treatment. We haven't forgotten that the last house we sold was to people who looked quite unimpressed and weren't on the market when they first viewed.

Such people can't be 'read,' and whether it's buying a house, or just a car, or a bit of antique furniture, it's probably more MSE to be one of them.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 15-09-2017 at 2:21 PM. Reason: Bad punctuation
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Jaglad111
    • By Jaglad111 15th Sep 17, 8:47 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Jaglad111
    It works both ways. We viewed earlier in the year and the vendor didn't seem serious about selling and stated 'there is only one house we want, if we dont get it we will be staying put'.

The next vendor stated 'we have split and just want to get it sold as I cant afford it on my own'

We offered on the latter as both properties were equal but getting the deal done was far more likely with property 2.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 15th Sep 17, 8:57 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    So here is confirmation that a "serious viewer" is not necessarily a "serious buyer" and it can be difficult to tell them apart.

Until contracts are exchanged, I take everything with a pinch of salt no matter how "serious" they have been. In England that is the only clue that you've actually got the place sold.
    Last edited by Mutton Geoff; 15-09-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Corrected typo "signed" to "exchanged"
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £3,963

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

410Posts Today

3,393Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin