Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Srappy Doo
    • By Srappy Doo 14th Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Srappy Doo
    Long Term debt consolidation loans with bad credit?
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    Long Term debt consolidation loans with bad credit? 14th Sep 17 at 6:54 PM
    Hi, first time poster here!

I am a father and husband in a full time job with a large amount of unsecured debt across multiple accounts!

Is there anyone that would provide say a £20k loan over 10 years?!?

Need some advice on this please! I want to consolidate all the smaller bits into one manageable payment! Currently we are struggling financially and need help
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 30,264 Posts
    • 19,144 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    Hi, first time poster here!

I am a father and husband in a full time job with a large amount of unsecured debt across multiple accounts!

Is there anyone that would provide say a £20k loan over 10 years?!?

Need some advice on this please! I want to consolidate all the smaller bits into one manageable payment! Currently we are struggling financially and need help
    Originally posted by Srappy Doo
    How much do you earn ?

It could be a stumbling block if you dont earn enough.

A dmp might be a better option. Post on the dfw board for advice.

What are the bills, how did they mount up ?

Consolidation rarely works, you need to be very regimental and stick to payong the debts for 10 years, if anything crops up eg a boilet, the car then its a set back.

You need to cut back on your spending, only buy whats essential.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 15-09-2017 at 8:31 AM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Gambler101
    • By Gambler101 14th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    Gambler101
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    Considering all your other loan commitments are virtually in default, do you really think another lender is going to lend you £20K, serious question.

You need to go to the "debt free wanabee" board and post, and look to drastically cut down on your outgoings.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX
    • Puddylove
    • By Puddylove 15th Sep 17, 6:49 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Puddylove
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:49 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:49 AM
    Welcome to the forum.
    Consolidation loans are often hard to obtain (because the lender can't be sure you are not just going to start using the credit cards again, etc) and tend not to work.
    Instead, head over to the Debt Free Wannabe board, fill in a Statement of Affairs and the people there will suggest many ways of reducing your outgoings/increasing income - a far better debt solution.
    Good luck.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 12,402 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    Originally posted by Srappy Doo
    What you need is debt management, not debt consolidation.

Pop over to the debtfreewannabe forum for advice on how to do this.

Trying to get out of debt by further borrowing is just another step on the road to bankruptcy, nip this in the bud now.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 16th Sep 17, 11:07 PM
    • 4,672 Posts
    • 8,767 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:07 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:07 PM
    I am going to reiterate what everyone else is telling you. Debt consolidation is a bad move and will not work in reducing the debt. The only way to get rid of debt is to budget and make higher repayments. Moving any of the debt to 0% cards is the one exception.

Posting an soa on the DFW board will get you more detailed responses.
    5 weeks to go until early retirement in December . Debt free and mortgage free.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 17th Sep 17, 12:41 AM
    • 707 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:41 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:41 AM
    Yes - debt consolidation doesn't work. Trust me! I know!
    End Sep 2016 End Oct 2017
    £8236.57 £0
    (Tesco 4.8%) £0pcm
    £6185.75 £0(Zopa 4.0%) £0pcm

£5344.50
    £2610.04 (Sainsburys 0% until 06/19) £140pcm
    £2000.00 £1066.69 (Sister 0%) £133.33pcm

Total debt
    £19.766.82 £3676.73 Original DFD May 2019.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 17th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 3,550 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 17th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    I'm another vote for 'NO' to debt consolidation - the DFW board is the best starting point.

Start a thread with your SOA - you will get good suggestions on how to do this the right way.

You cannot borrow your way out of debt.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

2,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin