Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sammiejay
    • By sammiejay 14th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 34Thanks
    sammiejay
    Term reduction with outstanding debt
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    Term reduction with outstanding debt 14th Sep 17 at 6:53 PM
    Hi everyone,

My fixed rate is coming to an end and I can change from next month without an early repayment charge.
    I have decided to stay with the same lender (nationwide) and was hoping to reduce the term from 30years to 20. This would still give me a lower monthly payment than I've been paying for 5years.
    If I do this online will they still do an affordability check? I've heard that they won't if the term remains the same, but to reduce the term they would.
    The problem is I have A LOT of debt, so even though the payments would be affordable would I be denied the reduction in term due to the debt?
    Or would it be safer to just keep the 30year term (heartbreaking though that is) and overpay?

Any advice appreciated
Page 1
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 14th Sep 17, 7:13 PM
    • 9,550 Posts
    • 5,164 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:13 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:13 PM
    Keep the same term and start to clear your debts !
    Start with the most expensive first.
    Maybe time for a 3/5 year fix for long term security for your family IF you have no plans on moving in next 3/5 years ?
    Can you afford your current home if you have built up debts ?
    Sell up and buy something cheaper !
    Overpay the Mortgage once you have cleared other expensive debt
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 14th Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    • 2,801 Posts
    • 1,814 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    Assuming the difference between 30yr term vs 20yr term is below your maximum overpayment limit (without penalty) - which is presumably very likely - then taking the 30yr term and overpaying achieves the same aim surely?
    • sammiejay
    • By sammiejay 14th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sammiejay
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    There's no way I could get something cheaper. Mortgage payment once the interest rate changes will be under £250 per month. I can afford my home just fine at that, the debt has been accrued for various reasons including redundancy, a lower paid job and the boiler needing to be replaced amongst other things.
    Im working hard to pay down the debt, just would have been a bit of a morale boost if I could have reduced the term. All the debt is interest free so the mortgage is the only thing I pay interest on.
    • sammiejay
    • By sammiejay 14th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sammiejay
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    Thanks, I think this is what I'll do, like I said, just would have felt like I'd achieved something if I could have knocked 10 years off. 30years it is!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

4,005Users online

Martin's Twitter