Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 23,511Posts
    • 49,228Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Please let me hold your hand...roll on 2018!
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    Please let me hold your hand...roll on 2018! 14th Sep 17 at 6:26 PM
    I've had a bit of (good) news today and am going to need some OS handholding for a few weeks. Quite a few weeks

In fact I can feel the stress coursing through my body right now - so will go for a brisk walk and then fill in the blanks on this post. I need all the practical OS shortcuts I can get!

Ok, so I'm exercised and showered and have had a chance to think...life's about to get crazy! I am pleased to say that after a long and picky search, it looks like I'm going to finally move back to the shires! (Well, Essex to be precise). If the sale goes through in 13 weeks as I hope that takes us to the the week before Christmas. With slippage, realistically it wil be in the New Year but there is a stack of stuff to do beforehand. Ironically, the only thing I feel I have a handle on is the finances and paperwork!

The thought of having to pack up the house filled me with dread, there is just so much stuff, much of which I never use! But having thought about it, I know its possible but would appreciate some guidance. I knew I was going to have to economise for at least 12 of the weeks before 2018 but now I've got no choice. Where do I start?

Food is probably the easiest: no buying it. 3 months to work my way through the freezer. Which is not so easy given that it takes me a week to get through a take-away sized container of soup. The dried goods I'll probably take with me - plenty of space in my new kitchen . Can't wait to pack up my gadgets and bakeware that never get used but equally I don't want to live amongst cardboard boxes for the next few weeks.

I've got enough toiletries to last me a lifetime. Books are also relatively straightforward. I've got roughly 1,000 and lately have been adding at the rate of 25-30 a month. I am going to have to get a handle on my chazzer craziness. I'll make an exception for the books I've P'inned, but no more buying stuff. My plans are to furnish my excess space with thrifty "antique" furniture that fits in with the style of my new home, so there will be plenty of time for that in 2018. Which is just as well, as there isn't going to be much cash

Throwing unwanted stuff is relatively easy. Now for the excess. Most of it is packed away in my loft, and I had the intention of getting rid of it. Every penny counts, so I can't afford to give it to charity / stick it on Freecycle . I always meant to start eBaying, but never quite got there. I know it will be straightforward when you get in the swing of things, but also that it requires organisation so how do people do it when they are working full time, commute and making a conscious effort to take time out to exercise? Especially as so much of it is brand new and unused from my glamorous days: shoes, handbags, lingerie and formal dresses. Pre-Christmas is the time it would sell. If I take it with me, it will just hang around for ages and make my new home look untidy.

And so much kids stuff. What my niece doesn't need, I should get rid of. And then there is clearing the shed...!

On top of that there is the day to day stuff, there's so much to think about! haven't submitted my tax return for last year, thats the worst job of the year and I hate it . Plus I was looking for another job and I guess that will have to go on hold for now. I know I'll need to create some sort of schedule as I can't afford to waste a single evening but I don't really know quite how to organise Sorting out post, and that sort of thing. And it sounds really silly, but I've got 12 chunky library books on loan to read before I move out of the borough. That takes time too

It goes without saying that Christmas is cancelled (for me, anyway). I will get help around moving time but I need to make inroads well before then. How long will it take to pack up my home?

I need to prioritise, and fast. Tried and tested tips, please? And help in keeping me on track....
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 14-09-2017 at 9:59 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 4
    • kittie
    • By kittie 21st Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 11,126 Posts
    • 62,067 Thanks
    kittie
    Most people I know who have had professional removers pack and move them have had stuff disappear. Not vast amounts, one or so item per move, the kind of stuff which shares the following qualities; smallish, untraceable, relatively valuable but not the kind of thing you'd think to take especial security measures over, and the kind of things which wouldn't be among the first things missed. Examples include antique mirrors, stamp albums, things of that ilk.

Sooo, be careful.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    That is exactly what I was thinking wrt my own move, hence am prepared to pack everything myself and thanks to MK, I can do it. I look around me and all I would need are the boxes, bubble wrap and tape and I will also mobilise friends to help me to be watchful
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 27th Sep 17, 10:18 AM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 25,987 Thanks
    short_bird
    How's it all going?
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Sep 17, 2:33 PM
    • 23,511 Posts
    • 49,228 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I did mean to update earlier this week...it rather feels like I'm holding my breath until I receive the results of the survey . I daren't do anything too practical re: packing atm, but I am now telling people that I am heading back home. I'm preparing for a full and active life in the place that I intend to call home for the rest of my life, so getting more involved in community activities I couldn't commit to before .

The areas I feel like I'm winning on: food (quite enjoying not spending on it and watching the contents of the freezer dwindle bit by bit, ditto storecupboard) and dividing my summer clothing into stuff I can get rid of, and stuff I will keep but won't be using again this year - helped by a bit of therapeutic Kondo-ing. Once the two main bedrooms are dealt with, I'll be ready for the dreaded paperwork in my study / B3.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 27th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 12,408 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    Which part of Essex are you heading for?
    [DFW Nerd club #1142Proud to be dealing with my debtDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862April 2013 = £20414 April 2014 = £11000 April 2015 = £9500 April 2016 = £7200
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 23,511 Posts
    • 49,228 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Which part of Essex are you heading for?
    Originally posted by lillibet dripping
    The seaside. The very nice bit.

Cast all visions of Jaywick out of your mind....

• Floss
    • By Floss 27th Sep 17, 5:26 PM
    • 3,916 Posts
    • 31,560 Thanks
    Floss
    I have an old school friend who now lives in Frinton-on-Sea...anywhere near?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 23,511 Posts
    • 49,228 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by Floss
    Go a fair bit south. (Don't want to out myself, though).

• lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 28th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 12,408 Thanks
    lillibet dripping

Inside or outside (to those 'in the know' that will make sense!!)
    [DFW Nerd club #1142Proud to be dealing with my debtDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862April 2013 = £20414 April 2014 = £11000 April 2015 = £9500 April 2016 = £7200
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM
    • lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 28th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 12,408 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    The seaside. The very nice bit.

Cast all visions of Jaywick out of your mind....
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Save
    • carol candy
    • By carol candy 28th Sep 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    carol candy
    rational
    Sounds like you are going to have a real new life in your new house. Same with you that I often want to drop out so many things like clothes and daily tools, but then new same things would be bought from market. So Just keep in mind be rational. rotfl:
    • Floss
    • By Floss 28th Sep 17, 11:02 AM
    • 3,916 Posts
    • 31,560 Thanks
    Floss
    lillibet he's in...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 28th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 23,511 Posts
    • 49,228 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Hand hold please
    I feel really stressed this evening, so much so that I have just eaten 2 packs of Aldi's version of "Skips" (which I bought to keep my 2 yo niece amused) in a row. I went for my usual hour long walk earlier and that didn't help a jot - instead I spent the hour focusing on the enormity of the task ahead

I desparately want to start packing, but at the same time I don't want to have to squeeze round multiple boxes for the next 3 months...realistically I won't be moving in until the first week of January. I'd rather just get it done and move back in with my parents until then, such is the derangement of my thoughts.

Am trying to calm myself down with a quote for Big Yellow Storage and overnight van hire.

• GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 28th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 11,270 Posts
    • 217,022 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    And breathe s l o w ly and d e e p l y, hun.

Do not succumb to paralysis and panic. Everything is do-able. The majority of one's Stuff can be lifted in one hand, all that's needed is to consolidate it in such a way that you won't be making 10,000 trips to and fro the removal van.

What I've done when prepping for a move when the actual dates are very much TBC is pack things which aren't needed in daily life in boxes and keep those boxes in cupboards/ under beds/ in the loft. This keeps them from underfoot but means that they're ready to roll at very little notice.

Get what you can boxed and bags, have the containers labelled and perhaps have a master book as a working inventory in case you panic and think you've lost your copy of X book or Y item. Always label boxes on all four sides and the top, so whichever way they face you can see the label.

It might be a good idea to colour co-ordinate boxes with stickers. All book boxes are ----, all kitchen boxes are -----. It makes a fast and intuitive way to sort things out.

Examples could be something like Red 20 - your Margaret Attwood novels. I have no idea if you read MA's books, just used that as an example. Red 21 could be A.N.Other author. Blue 2 could be summer sandals and flip-flops, Blue 3 could be swimming cozzies and beachwear. You get the idea. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 28th Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 12,408 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    lillibet he's in...

Save
    Save
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 28th Sep 17, 11:42 PM
    • 23,511 Posts
    • 49,228 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I feel a bit better now, having decided that I'm going to stick my stuff in storage as soon as it's safe to. Rates aren't too bad and are a small price to pay for peace of mind.

It also means I'll be able to thoroughly clean and decorate the new place before I move my stuff in. Now I just have to break the news to my folks that they'll have a houseguest before the end of the year

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Oct 17, 11:22 AM
    • 23,511 Posts
    • 49,228 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Okay...so now for the next step. Having spent a wonderful weekend in my new 'hood, feeling-ever-so-pleased with my choice of property and location and fantasising about all the suburban things I will get up to, I've had the survey back this morning. And all is not 100%

The rational side of me thinks that much of the problems are associated with the age of the property, but equally I know they will cost a bundle to fix. Effectively making me a wage-slave to my new home for at least 18 months. I expected a bit of work, but nowhere near this much! Plus there are a number of other unknowns because certain areas couldn't be accessed.

I need to get my head around this information, there is a lot of it! I know I can't be the only one in this position, but its all new to me. I have a feeling I need to sleep on it and then make a plan...

• Floss
    • By Floss 2nd Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 3,916 Posts
    • 31,560 Thanks
    Floss
    VFM is there any wriggle room on the purchase price to take account of some of the survey issues? Maybe seller to reduce the price or to commit to resolving some things without charge?
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 2nd Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 9,767 Posts
    • 105,176 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Just catching up with the thread; I've moved house several times, and in my experience there's always something that's not up-to-scratch and has to be sorted. I agree with Floss see if the seller is able to get some of the problems sorted.

And GQ's suggestion of colour-coding your boxes is ace; I'm a great fan of colour coding (you should see my dog-sitting bookings spreadsheet - it's a veritable rainbow!)

Btw, I have no idea what "Skips" are, let alone @ldi's version of them, but two packs in one hit doesn't sound too good!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 2nd Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 25,987 Thanks
    short_bird
    Plus there are a number of other unknowns because certain areas couldn't be accessed.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Oooh, I'd go back with a tame builder.
    When you say "couldn't be accessed", is that the standard surveyor cover statement in case something comes up? e.g. "we haven't taken the carpets up so can't guarantee the state of the floorboards" or "we haven't checked the drains with a camera", that sort of thing?
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    • 23,511 Posts
    • 49,228 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I feel a bit subdued today, it’s out of my grip and all in the vendors’ hands now.

Yesterday I was told by someone with the gift that my past plans have been plagued with disappointment, and this is set to continue. Am guessing whatever happens now will be for the best. If I don’t think that way, I’ll be quite wretched.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,035Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter