Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 23,214Posts
    • 48,458Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Please let me hold your hand...roll on 2018!
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    Please let me hold your hand...roll on 2018! 14th Sep 17 at 6:26 PM
    I've had a bit of (good) news today and am going to need some OS handholding for a few weeks. Quite a few weeks

In fact I can feel the stress coursing through my body right now - so will go for a brisk walk and then fill in the blanks on this post. I need all the practical OS shortcuts I can get!

Ok, so I'm exercised and showered and have had a chance to think...life's about to get crazy! I am pleased to say that after a long and picky search, it looks like I'm going to finally move back to the shires! (Well, Essex to be precise). If the sale goes through in 13 weeks as I hope that takes us to the the week before Christmas. With slippage, realistically it wil be in the New Year but there is a stack of stuff to do beforehand. Ironically, the only thing I feel I have a handle on is the finances and paperwork!

The thought of having to pack up the house filled me with dread, there is just so much stuff, much of which I never use! But having thought about it, I know its possible but would appreciate some guidance. I knew I was going to have to economise for at least 12 of the weeks before 2018 but now I've got no choice. Where do I start?

Food is probably the easiest: no buying it. 3 months to work my way through the freezer. Which is not so easy given that it takes me a week to get through a take-away sized container of soup. The dried goods I'll probably take with me - plenty of space in my new kitchen . Can't wait to pack up my gadgets and bakeware that never get used but equally I don't want to live amongst cardboard boxes for the next few weeks.

I've got enough toiletries to last me a lifetime. Books are also relatively straightforward. I've got roughly 1,000 and lately have been adding at the rate of 25-30 a month. I am going to have to get a handle on my chazzer craziness. I'll make an exception for the books I've P'inned, but no more buying stuff. My plans are to furnish my excess space with thrifty "antique" furniture that fits in with the style of my new home, so there will be plenty of time for that in 2018. Which is just as well, as there isn't going to be much cash

Throwing unwanted stuff is relatively easy. Now for the excess. Most of it is packed away in my loft, and I had the intention of getting rid of it. Every penny counts, so I can't afford to give it to charity / stick it on Freecycle . I always meant to start eBaying, but never quite got there. I know it will be straightforward when you get in the swing of things, but also that it requires organisation so how do people do it when they are working full time, commute and making a conscious effort to take time out to exercise? Especially as so much of it is brand new and unused from my glamorous days: shoes, handbags, lingerie and formal dresses. Pre-Christmas is the time it would sell. If I take it with me, it will just hang around for ages and make my new home look untidy.

And so much kids stuff. What my niece doesn't need, I should get rid of. And then there is clearing the shed...!

On top of that there is the day to day stuff, there's so much to think about! haven't submitted my tax return for last year, thats the worst job of the year and I hate it . Plus I was looking for another job and I guess that will have to go on hold for now. I know I'll need to create some sort of schedule as I can't afford to waste a single evening but I don't really know quite how to organise Sorting out post, and that sort of thing. And it sounds really silly, but I've got 12 chunky library books on loan to read before I move out of the borough. That takes time too

It goes without saying that Christmas is cancelled (for me, anyway). I will get help around moving time but I need to make inroads well before then. How long will it take to pack up my home?

I need to prioritise, and fast. Tried and tested tips, please? And help in keeping me on track....
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 14-09-2017 at 9:59 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 1
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 14th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 5,329 Posts
    • 18,456 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    I'm in... can't wait to hear your good news...
    • elona
    • By elona 14th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 11,137 Posts
    • 58,726 Thanks
    elona
    Crossing my fingers for you.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Captain Bluebear
    • By Captain Bluebear 14th Sep 17, 11:27 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Captain Bluebear
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:27 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:27 PM
    Wow! Exciting times for you VFM!

Almost a year ago, (after my last child flew the nest) I decided to get rid of my rented 4 bedroom house after my parents offered me the use of their granny annex at the back of their home.

This meant that I had to get rid of a 4 bedroom house full of stuff in 4 weeks....That sort of time frame really helps to focus the mind!

Gumtree was my best friend during this time (You get a lot of people that will offer you insulting money for your prized possessions but just stick to your guns)

I realise that your situation is slightly different to mine as you'll need most of your possessions for your new home....I literally had to get rid of almost everything but my clothes and bed! It really helps if you can disassociate any feeling you may have from the items you need to let go.

In the end, it really helped me to have the mind set that I was doing something positive (it was hard to let some treasured items go but I don't even think about them now)

I'm really excited for you! Good luck with everything and keep us posted about how it's going.

bear
    LBM Dec 15 £5,629 paid £2740 in 2016

PAYDBX17 #66 £2339/2889

NSD Aug 3/12
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 15th Sep 17, 12:04 AM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,741 Thanks
    kboss2010
    • 15th Sep 17, 12:04 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 12:04 AM
    Local Facebook selling groups are great for shifting stuff & getting reasonable offers for items.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 15th Sep 17, 5:30 AM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 6,207 Thanks
    tori.k
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:30 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:30 AM
    Congratulations we are also on the journey and downsizing to our final home hopefully yours will go without any issue, it's a stressful process but will be worth it in the end good luck.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Last Castle 150,000/ 25300
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Sep 17, 6:01 AM
    • 23,214 Posts
    • 48,458 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:01 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:01 AM
    Local Facebook selling groups are great for shifting stuff & getting reasonable offers for items.
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    I don't do FB, as I value my privacy. I much prefer anonymous networks.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Sep 17, 6:25 AM
    • 11,053 Posts
    • 60,998 Thanks
    kittie
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:25 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:25 AM
    VfM I`ll hold your hand, I am preparing for move with no time date. The suggestion to me from a ds was a lockup storage unit, for all those things that I wanted out of the way temporarily

The stuff for the tip is relatively easy, the broken things, old wood, old tins of paint and so on. One load out is a box or two less to finally move. Don`t wait to start

Captain bluebear, respect!!!
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 15th Sep 17, 7:32 AM
    • 3,104 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:32 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:32 AM
    You need to save money, but these are a good investment:

clear plastic stacking boxes for stuff you are keeping: you can see what's in them and they are useful storage when in a new home. We bought 100 from Big Dug, but they might be cheaper elsewhere.

Put out a wanted on Freecycle for boxes and packing material. If you don't get much in the way of newspapers, tell neighbours and friends to save some for you.

Buy black bin bags for rubbish only AND a lot of clear plastic bags & ties. These are useful for clothes, toys etc. you can see what's in them, and write on them. Reduces the chances of favourite things ending up in the bin!

Marker pens and labels -both sticky and tie on. That way you can have your bags/ boxes for sale or moving easily identifiable.

That's how I did 3 house clearances and built a house in the space of a year!

Good luck!
    Last edited by jackyann; 15-09-2017 at 7:35 AM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Sep 17, 7:40 AM
    • 989 Posts
    • 5,094 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

I am pleased to say that after a long and picky search, it looks like I'm going to finally move back to the shires! (Well, Essex to be precise). If the sale goes through in 13 weeks as I hope that takes us to the the week before Christmas. With slippage, realistically it wil be in the New Year but there is a stack of stuff to do beforehand. Ironically, the only thing I feel I have a handle on is the finances and paperwork!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Oh, that sounds exciting! Good for you.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th Sep 17, 7:50 AM
    • 3,832 Posts
    • 30,529 Thanks
    Floss
    I'm in!

Yes, pre-christmas is a great time for eBay, it is really easy now (can be done on a phone for a start!). If you set aside a couple of hours to take photos on your phone & note each items details, the listing can be done in your lunch break. If you check the bids on there first, you can get an idea of starting prices etc and note this down on your list.

Re packing: stacking fruit /veg boxes from your supermarket are great for books, cds and dvds, their rigid corners protect the contents and they can be stacked in a corner when full (both before and after the move!)
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th Sep 17, 8:07 AM
    • 2,944 Posts
    • 36,906 Thanks
    monnagran
    I'm going out in 10 minutes so won't have time for much but I've done what you are about to do but I only had 4 weeks.
    I'll come back this evening but give you one tip now.

Get that tax return done before anything else. The weight off your mind will be wonderful.

Then you can start on the rest.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Sep 17, 8:29 AM
    • 15,237 Posts
    • 123,663 Thanks
    JackieO
    I agree with monnagran, prioritise the most important stuff first and your tax return is very important set aside a block of time and a large pot of coffee and tackle that first and foremost.Once thats done and off your back you can begin to organise a little When I first got married I moved 9 times in 3 years ,the last time was with a 4 & 2 year old in tow.Its doable and adds grey hairs but think of the end result.Fodd obviously is the first priority after the tax man as you certainly don't want to try and move with a full freezer.List all of the contents and stuff to eat and work your way through them.I shall be moving in around three years time and I have started to organise books cds etc already.Once read I pass them on to CS or friends,unless they are precious and I'm not able to get rid of them They will get boxed up in crates and labelled to what room they will be going into .re the library books read an hour at a time and if after two or three hours the books don't grab you then return them to the library Don't waste precious time reading something you aren't keen on or because you think you have to.A lot of kitchen gadgets can also be boxed up and put away for a few months Work out whats the minimum you can manage with including cutlery and cups plates etc and box the rest up if you are keeping them.Its amazing how little you really need.If you were camping you wouldn't need a butter knife would you ,bit of an allegory but you see what I mean.
    I wish you the best of luck with your coming move and I'm sure it will go well. Where in Essex are you hoping to move to ,out in the sticks or Colchester way.I lived on Mersea Island in the mid 1960s and loved it
    Good Luck and keep us all in the loop at how you are getting on.

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 15th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    spirit
    I've moved 5 times in the last 7 years, so feel your pain!

My advice is to start at the top and work down. so, clear the loft. Anything you don't need/haven't used then CS it.

Pack up the bedrooms. pack away summer stuff/unused stuff and again CS ing anything you don't wear. I got loads of decent boxes, which come flat and you just make them up as you need them.

If you have a garage you can store empty boxes and those you've packed up then all the better. Get stickers and a thick felt tip pen and write on the boxes what's in them and what room they are for the other end.

If you are organised like this all will be well. My last 3 moves I've done all alone (save the removal firms) and with 2 cats and a long drive.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Sep 17, 8:47 AM
    • 17,625 Posts
    • 44,863 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Well done on your good news.
    You sound so excited.

I'm with you in that I too have a load of stuff that I need to sell on ebay but haven't got round to it.
    Let's do it together.

Books are also relatively straightforward. I've got roughly 1,000 and lately have been adding at the rate of 25-30 a month. I am going to have to get a handle on my chazzer craziness. I'll make an exception for the books I've P'inned, but no more buying stuff.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I'd better not catch you posting about your future bargains on the 'charity shop' thread.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Sep 17, 8:52 AM
    • 11,053 Posts
    • 60,998 Thanks
    kittie
    I used bigdug for all my storage boxes

I second that re the tax return, its a big weight gone
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 15th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 922 Posts
    • 15,554 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Those library books.... does your new hometown not have a library? 12 chunky books to read before Christmas seems like an avoidance strategy (sorry if that sounds harsh, but you have no time for softhanded doctors).

Good luck with the move! You sound really excited. I loved visiting Essex two years ago, some parts are still exactly like John Constable painted them!
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6466,86= £ 5589.79
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 15th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    • 1,952 Posts
    • 9,048 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I'm here for you!....virtual mugs of coffee to accompany the hand-holding.

I moved into this area something like 10 years ago....and have moved 4 times in that period....last time was in November last year - downsized and expect this is 'it' for me. (Although I have said that before!!!....NO!...this IS it!)

Use you packing as a chance to seriously look at what you need, what you want, and if you are honest what-you-can-live-without......I have found that some charity shops are willing to collect larger items if you ask.
    • Sj62
    • By Sj62 15th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    Sj62
    You need to save money, but these are a good investment:

clear plastic stacking boxes for stuff you are keeping: you can see what's in them and they are useful storage when in a new home. We bought 100 from Big Dug, but they might be cheaper elsewhere.

Put out a wanted on Freecycle for boxes and packing material. If you don't get much in the way of newspapers, tell neighbours and friends to save some for you.

Buy black bin bags for rubbish only AND a lot of clear plastic bags & ties. These are useful for clothes, toys etc. you can see what's in them, and write on them. Reduces the chances of favourite things ending up in the bin!

Marker pens and labels -both sticky and tie on. That way you can have your bags/ boxes for sale or moving easily identifiable.

That's how I did 3 house clearances and built a house in the space of a year!

Good luck!
    Originally posted by jackyann
    Wow! Seriously impressive JackyAnn
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 15th Sep 17, 5:17 PM
    • 3,104 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    jackyann
    Thank you!
    I wasn't short of space, which I think helpful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

83Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin