Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dadsma
    • By dadsma 14th Sep 17, 5:42 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 65Thanks
    dadsma
    Sainsbury's Stanmore - Euro Car Parks
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:42 PM
    Sainsbury's Stanmore - Euro Car Parks 14th Sep 17 at 5:42 PM
    Hi all,

The signs say the car park is managed by ECP in partnership with Sainsbury's. There is a 90 minute maximum stay policy with a £70 charge for not complying.

Several family members are regular customers at the store and none have overstayed - until now. For whatever reason time flew by. An ANPR parking charge notice was received and the The "Newbies" sticky on this forum was read. An appeal to ECP got a rejection and POPLA code, so that appeal is being prepared.

Meanwhile I suggested to the keeper to follow the advice often given here and request the manager of the store to cancel as the family are genuine and regular customers and it is a first time error.

This is the reply:

"Thank you for your e-mail concerning your PCN. On investigation I have found your transactions on our system and can confirm that you spent a maximum of £24.74 for the day in question both at the pharmacy and at checkouts. All transactions were completed between 13:38 and 13:43 that day.

On discussion with the Store Manager, we have agreed that unfortunately we are unable to cancel your fine. We feel that given the time of the purchases, staying up to 1hr and 47 minutes further and 30 minutes over the time we give our customers, is a potential misuse of the parking agreement which has signage displayed in multiple positions around the carpark.

As discussed previously with you, the reason we have euro carparks enforce rules on our carpark is to make sure the carpark is free and readily available for our customers.

I appreciate that you and your family have shopped with Sainsbury’s for the time you have and value your custom and am sorry we can’t cancel this PCN.

If you need to discuss the PCN further, the best method I can suggest is contacting euro carparks directly.

Regards,
    David."

I have visited that store many times and never found the car park full so I think Sainsbury's are being a bit harsh in their attitude. I am interested to know what others think.
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    • 50,161 Posts
    • 63,535 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    Didn't you forget you also had Auntie/Uncle with you, who paid cash for their shopping at 2.50pm?!!

Twitter and Social Media complaints work very well. Involve Sainsburys Head Office and embarrass them online, before you try POPLA, as the code lasts for 30 days+
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• dadsma
    • By dadsma 14th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    dadsma
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    Initially Sainsbury's in-store help desk said the appeal had to be made to Euro Car Parks. Following the rejection and reading this forum a visit was made to the store to ask the manager if he would help and cancel the pcn. He said he could do so as long as it could be proven that "a lot of money" was spent at the store on the relevant date. A card statement was emailed to him but it seems that £24 isn't sufficient to fall into the category of "a lot of money."

He didn't specify the threshold for how much expenditure is necessary for cancellation but what is clear from what was said is that that they will override the parking time limit policy if the customer spends enough. That shows the policy has little to do with ensuring that parking spaces are turned over rapidly, otherwise they wouldn't cancel irrespective of a customer spending £500 or £1000. In effect what they are saying is that they will ignore the time limit rule and will give you preferential treatment if you put enough money in the till. Perhaps Sainsbury's would like to comment on this point. By the way Sainsbury's, it isn't a 'fine' and when you say you are 'unable' to cancel don't you mean that your are unwilling to do so?

I don't do social media so could someone please help by posting a link to this thread on Sainsbury's social media thingy.
    Last edited by dadsma; 14-09-2017 at 8:06 PM.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 14th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 10,197 Posts
    • 9,330 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    Can I ask, just what did you spend all that time doing? Were there other retailers on site? Does the manager actually have a point about allowing a decent enough time to do a shop?

I am not excusing the ridiculous PPC charge by the way.

So it;s back to the usual template appeal points, I fear.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 14th Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 3,650 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    .....30 minutes over the time we give our customers, is a potential misuse of the parking agreement which has signage displayed in multiple positions around the carpark.

But in addition to the signage terms and conditions which he considers to be an "agreement" he has indicated there is also a hidden additional condition based on spend, that is not disclosed!
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • dadsma
    • By dadsma 14th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    dadsma
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    GD - there are no other retailers on site. I have shopped there a lot and the car park has never been full in my experience. Perhaps the driver was tired and fell asleep in the car for a while before leaving the car park - I will ask and update the thread.

FJ - I think the 90 minute maximum would discourage overstaying. However to charge a regular customer £70 for inadvertently doing so and then offer to cancel it if they have spent greater than an unknown arbitrary amount is disgraceful in my view but we now do know that £24.74 is insufficient at that particular store.

It reminds me of the story of the playwright George Bernard Shaw and the actress Sarah Bernhardt. It goes that GBS propositioned the actress, asking whether she would sleep with him for £10,000. She said "yes". GBS then asked whether she would sleep with him for £5 to which she replied "Certainly not!, what sort of woman do you take me for?" "We have already established that" retorted the playwright, "we are simply negotiating the lowest price".

I wonder what Sainsbury's lowest price is and why it isn't published?
    Last edited by dadsma; 14-09-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 14th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 5,982 Posts
    • 7,699 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    dadsma

Let's face it, Sainsbury's is not the favourite retailer
    when it comes to the top 10 supermarkets.
    Maybe they need to ask themselves WHY ??

To say "how much you spend" before they can cancel
    a ticket does show they can cancel tickets and this alone
    shows they discriminate.
    Wonder what they do with ethnics ????

I know of others who have found the customer service
    of Sainsbury's total rubbish

This is the CEO to contact

Sainsbury's

Mr Mike Coupe Chief Executive

Email mike.coupe@sainsburys.co.uk

KICK UP MERRY HELL AND REQUEST HE CANCELS THE TICKET
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • dadsma
    • By dadsma 15th Sep 17, 4:37 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    dadsma
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:37 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:37 AM
    Beamer - thank you, that's a good idea. Yesterday the customer helpline was called. A chap named Gary refused to help with getting the charge cancelled as he says he cannot go above the store manager.

When we asked to speak with a supervisor he refused. We than asked for the name of the regional manager covering the Stanmore area - that was refused too and then Gary said he was going to put the phone down to end the call - and he did.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 15th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    I lived there when that store was built. I am sure that part of the planning as that the car park as also available for people to use while shopping in the town?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Sep 17, 7:19 AM
    • 14,629 Posts
    • 23,016 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I lived there when that store was built. I am sure that part of the planning as that the car park as also available for people to use while shopping in the town?
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    @dadsma - the above information could be very important. Check with your local council's planning department (you might also be able to access the details of the planning approval via their website) what the detail of the consent was.

If it is as 'unforeseen' helpfully suggests, then you need to kick up a fuss, report to the planning department, to Trading Standards and contact your local press, because there may be many others who have been similarly caught out here, and just meekly paid up (and maybe due a refund from Sainsbury's).
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 15th Sep 17, 7:35 AM
    • 10,197 Posts
    • 9,330 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    dadsma

Let's face it, Sainsbury's is not the favourite retailer
    when it comes to the top 10 supermarkets.
    Maybe they need to ask themselves WHY ??

KICK UP MERRY HELL AND REQUEST HE CANCELS THE TICKET
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    Absolutely right to contact the CEO. I would also tell him how much you spend annually with his company if you could estimate that.

But beamer guy I really must comment that we get many more threads on here for most of the other supermarkets than Sainsbury so to draw a parallel that it's due to parking charges doesn't stack up. It's for all sorts of other reasons.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 15th Sep 17, 8:38 AM
    • 5,982 Posts
    • 7,699 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Absolutely right to contact the CEO. I would also tell him how much you spend annually with his company if you could estimate that.

But beamer guy I really must comment that we get many more threads on here for most of the other supermarkets than Sainsbury so to draw a parallel that it's due to parking charges doesn't stack up. It's for all sorts of other reasons.
    Originally posted by Guys Dad
    ah, what was meant was not about on here

Compared to customers shopping at Sainsbury's to say tesco and lidl, their sales have dropped

If Sainsbury's has poor customer service as the OP explained,
    then they need to wake up

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 15th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 5,982 Posts
    • 7,699 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Beamer - thank you, that's a good idea. Yesterday the customer helpline was called. A chap named Gary refused to help with getting the charge cancelled as he says he cannot go above the store manager.

When we asked to speak with a supervisor he refused. We than asked for the name of the regional manager covering the Stanmore area - that was refused too and then Gary said he was going to put the phone down to end the call - and he did.
    Originally posted by dadsma
    And all this is part of your complaint to the ceo.

Highly possible the CEO does not know he employs idiots

Tell the CEO AS IT IS
    Last edited by beamerguy; 15-09-2017 at 8:49 AM.

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 15th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 5,338 Thanks
    Half_way
    to the original poster:
    keep an accurate time sheet of how much time you are spending on this.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Humu
    • By Humu 16th Sep 17, 9:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Humu
    Dadsma - I am going through exactly the same thing with Stanmore Sainsburys. My wife slightly overstayed (15mins) although did a small midweek shop. I went into the store today with a receipt, still had it and some Muppet called Daniel (claimed to be the store manager) basically told me we had not spent enough for him to do anything about it ! The arrogance of the man was unreal, we shopped there every week, a fact he didn't seem to care about. I have been tweeted sainsburys all day and they simply say they can't cancel the ticket, which of course means they just don't want to. I am also going to email the CEO now, but not hopeful as it seems like they simply don't care about their reputation and will continue to loose customers. I may be lucky as my NTK feels like it doesn't comply with the POFA 2012.. so may just go down the appeal/Popla route.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 16th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 14,629 Posts
    • 23,016 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Write some bad stuff on their Facebook page, or Twitter account and see if they respond to that.

As an aside, I visited Sainsbury's yesterday after having not been there for some time. Almost everything (same product) was significantly more expensive than any of their 3 competitors - Tesco, Morrisons and Asda. Not sure they're in the best place to suddenly turn all arsey with loyal customers.

Plenty of other fish in the sea!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 50,161 Posts
    • 63,535 Thanks
    Coupon-mad

Originally posted by dadsma
    Write a complaint letter to the CEO of Sainsburys and mention the above (shocking) and use your words, they are good:

I think the 90 minute maximum would discourage overstaying. However to charge a regular customer £70 for inadvertently doing so and then offer to cancel it if they have spent greater than an unknown arbitrary amount is disgraceful in my view but we now do know that £24.74 is insufficient at that particular store.

It reminds me of the story of the playwright George Bernard Shaw and the actress Sarah Bernhardt. It goes that GBS propositioned the actress, asking whether she would sleep with him for £10,000. She said "yes". GBS then asked whether she would sleep with him for £5 to which she replied "Certainly not!, what sort of woman do you take me for?" "We have already established that" retorted the playwright, "we are simply negotiating the lowest price".

I wonder what Sainsbury's lowest price is and why it isn't published?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin