Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 14th Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    • 4,211Posts
    • 1,867Thanks
    aardvaak
    Todays ms update
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    Todays ms update 14th Sep 17 at 5:38 PM
    Every since I got the update earlier today when I close the lid of my laptop the reopen again the screen is blank with no icons and however long I leave it they don't reappear

Until............

I crash it and let it reboot - then they reappear.

How can I correct this?
Page 1
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 14th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    Don't close the lid?

Only joking... what has your laptop previously done when you closed the lid and reopened it again?
    You need to have a look at the additional sleep settings by typing powercfg.cpl into Cortana/search
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 14-09-2017 at 6:16 PM.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 14th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    Don't close the lid?

Only joking... what has your laptop previously done when you closed the lid and reopened it again?
    You need to have a look at the additional sleep settings by typing powercfg.cpl into Cortana/search
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Previously if I closed the lid and reopened again the desktop would reappear normally.
    I know you were joking but not closing could be an option.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 14th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    Don't close the lid?

Power settings are ticked HP Recommended
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 14th Sep 17, 7:00 PM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:00 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:00 PM
    Don't close the lid?

I have gone to change when the computer sleeps and changed turn off the display to Never and that seems to have fixed it but it's odd why I needed to do this as the previous setting where working ok.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 14th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    Don't close the lid?

This is odd as an experiment I returned all the settings to what I had previously and all is working ok again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,869Users online

Martin's Twitter