Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spudserella
    • By Spudserella 14th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Spudserella
    Sold as seen buyer wants to return
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    Sold as seen buyer wants to return 14th Sep 17 at 4:47 PM
    Hi there, I sold a car to someone I know from school. The car had a valid MOT and was all in working order.
    I had a contract drawn up saying sold as seen for £X to be paid in instalments of £Y per week (as the buyer was strapped for cash) with a deposit of £Z. Both parties signed and the car was driven away. The v5 was sent off and the car is in the buyers name now.
    The first two payments were made and then the third was missed. I've now had some messages from the buyer saying that the car broke down and that the recovery person told them that the head gasket has gone. The head gasket was not an advisory and I had the car checked over before putting up for sale and was told it was all fine. It's been 4 weeks since the car was sold. The buyer is now saying they'll bring it back and I can deal with it but obviously I don't want that. It was sold to them in working order.
    How do I ensure that I get the outstanding money from them? I don't want to have to take them to court. Help?!
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 9,434 Posts
    • 10,604 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    Court may well be the only way to get your money (providing that they actually have funds available).
    Even without the "sold as seen" statement, if the head gasket was on the way out then the buyer should have noticed something in the past 4 weeks and for all you know, they may have been thrashing it since the day they drove it away.

Goods sold privately don't have to be fit for purpose or durable, all they are required to be is as described and as the car was okay for the past 4 weeks, it's more than likely that this was the case.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 18,413 Posts
    • 14,127 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    As far as I'm aware head gasket isn't something that could ever be listed as an advisory, so the fact that it's not mentioned on the MoT certificate is irrelevant. I'd suggest that you write a Letter Before Action (google it) to the buyer stating that the car was in working order when it was sold and you expect payments to be resumed (you might want to consider requiring full payment now to prevent future problems) or you will be forced to take court action.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 14th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 3,828 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    As far as I'm aware head gasket isn't something that could ever be listed as an advisory, so the fact that it's not mentioned on the MoT certificate is irrelevant.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    There is nothing to stop the tester from adding it as an advisory if they noticed that the head gasket appeared to be failing.
    Even though the engine itself isn't a testable item, this doesn't mean advisories can't still be given.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 14th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    I don't want to have to take them to court
    You shouldn't be worried or scared of going to court. Issuing a county court claim for amounts below £10k is actually a surprisingly simple and easy process.

Simply write a 'letter before action' giving him 14 days to pay, and then issue a claim through the moneyclaimonline system.

As others have advised, there is no requirement for the car to be 'satisfactory quality' for private sales. Private sales are done on a 'sold as seen' unless agreed otherwise or unless you wrongly describe the item.
    • Spudserella
    • By Spudserella 14th Sep 17, 10:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Spudserella
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:55 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:55 PM
    Thanks people. They've gone very quiet so I'll look into the letter before action tomorrow and hopefully it'll get me my money.
    Also they've threatened to bring the car back, it's now in their name so if they do so can I contact the police and have it reported as abandoned? I don't want a broken car sat on my drive.
    I don't actually know if the head gasket is what's happened to the car. The buyer has no car knowledge at all and is going on what they've been told by people who've not even looked at the car properly. Either way I don't want it dumped here.
    • macman
    • By macman 15th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 41,291 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    Why on earth did you agree to payment by instalments for a secondhand car, from someone you didn't know? It could be that they never intended to complete the payments.
    Had you taken full payment, you could quite rightly have told them that the car was sold as seen and that they have no legal comeback whatsoever, as long as you did not mis-represent the condition of the vehicle.
    That is still the case, but now you will have to pursue the outstanding payments through the courts, with no guarantee of recovery even if you win.
    Remind them of their legal position and start with an LBA giving them 14 days to pay. Presumably your agreement stated that, should the payments be late, or cease, then the full debt becomes due immediately?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 15th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 9,434 Posts
    • 10,604 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    Why on earth did you agree to payment by instalments for a secondhand car, from someone you didn't know?
    Originally posted by macman
    The did know them:
    Hi there, I sold a car to someone I know from school.
    Originally posted by Spudserella
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 15th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 784 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    If they are local to you, check and see if the car is still being used.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 15th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    m0bov
    Could have been ragged for all we know. Def send a LBA, but don't reply to texts or anything. Did they test drive it?
    • Spudserella
    • By Spudserella 16th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Spudserella
    I told them to test drive it and have a good look around it but they didn't want to. I didn't want any comeback like this hence why I drew up a contract to ensure I had something legal in case they claimed it was broken or did not pay.
    They claim that it is irreparable and won't even start, from what I understand they haven't had it looked at by a professional and are just going off what they've been told by their teenage boys and the recovery truck driver.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 15,266 Posts
    • 11,088 Thanks
    hollydays
    What was the wording of the contract you drew up?
    He signed in duplicate I take it?
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 17th Sep 17, 8:51 AM
    • 650 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    Sicard
    There are several signs of a blown head gasket: Your car could be leaking or spraying coolant into the engine compartment, or onto the ground, it could be overheating, you could have white smoke coming from your exhaust or there could be exhaust gases in your coolant.

You say you know him from school. Maybe his parents have stopped paying him pocket money.
    A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
    Baltasar Gracian
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 18th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 2,801 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser

You say you know him from school. Maybe his parents have stopped paying him pocket money.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    As he says " they haven't had it looked at by a professional and are just going off what they've been told by their teenage boys" it seems more likely that they either work at a school or were at school some time ago.

For the OP, the best course of action probably depends on how much they have paid and how much they have still to pay. Would you rather have the money already paid and nothing more, or have the car back and return that money? Those are the only options likely to be available to you without litigation.

Of course you could try and take the car back and keep the money already paid, but I doubt they would be willing to sign the car over to you without getting all the money up front.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,475Posts Today

8,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin