Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tabitha T
    • By Tabitha T 14th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 232Posts
    • 35Thanks
    Tabitha T
    Problem with Vista Laptop WiFi Connection
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    Problem with Vista Laptop WiFi Connection 14th Sep 17 at 4:44 PM
    Hi, been trying to help my Dad connect to the Internet on his old (but scarcely used) Vista laptop. When trying to get machine to connect wirelessly via his Virgin router, there is no provider being found. Does anybody know what I can do to help him? I have tried to find out, but am a bit confused by some of the suggestions. One has suggested that there is a 'switch' on the front or side of the laptop which needs to be switched on - but there is no sign of any switch. Another suggestion was to connect via a USB flash stick - but I don't really know what that means and how it would work. I am rather flummoxed and would be grateful for any help. Thank you! Tabs
Page 1
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 14th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    Seriously?

How should we know which machine is in question?

Brand name and full model number if you please.
    This USB Network adaptor is the kind of thing that has been suggested to you.
    Should really clean install Windows 7 to the thing.
    • Tabitha T
    • By Tabitha T 14th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Tabitha T
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    Blimey, no flippin' idea! My Dad is miles away and 92 y.o. and I'm trying to help from afar! I am no techno wizard (as you can probably guess!). I think the machine is an Acer, from memory. I'm also pretty sure he said he was running Windows 10. Does any of that make any more sense?
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 14th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    Blimey, no flippin' idea! My Dad is miles away and 92 y.o. and I'm trying to help from afar! I am no techno wizard (as you can probably guess!). I think the machine is an Acer, from memory. I'm also pretty sure he said he was running Windows 10. Does any of that make any more sense?
    Originally posted by Tabitha T
    Brand name and model number or you are stuck. They'll be stated on the underside of the laptop.

You first stated Vista and now you state Windows 10. Get it together!
    • decbel
    • By decbel 14th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    decbel
    Hi, been trying to help my Dad connect to the Internet on his old (but scarcely used) Vista laptop. When trying to get machine to connect wirelessly via his Virgin router, there is no provider being found. Does anybody know what I can do to help him? I have tried to find out, but am a bit confused by some of the suggestions. One has suggested that there is a 'switch' on the front or side of the laptop which needs to be switched on - but there is no sign of any switch. Another suggestion was to connect via a USB flash stick - but I don't really know what that means and how it would work. I am rather flummoxed and would be grateful for any help. Thank you! Tabs
    If you can't find any providers in network settings then that suggests to me that there is no wireless card installed. Normally yours and your neighbours will show up as a list.

You can buy a wireless card which plugs into a usb slot on ebay.

First of all there will be videos on you tube on how to connect wirelessly via vista.

I only very stopped recently using vista because I had a new machine.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Sep 17, 6:37 PM
    • 25,723 Posts
    • 10,222 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:37 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:37 PM
    Buy him a new laptop and switch on wifi before sending it to him.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Tabitha T
    • By Tabitha T 14th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Tabitha T
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    I've lost the plot here, methinks! I'm off to You Tube first, then I'm going to speak to Father Christmas!
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 14th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    I've lost the plot here, methinks! I'm off to You Tube first, then I'm going to speak to Father Christmas!

No...just come back with the brand name and model number. Should take no more than a minute.
    • Tabitha T
    • By Tabitha T 14th Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Tabitha T
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    I'll have to revert. My Dad lives miles from me and is partially sighted, he'll never be able to see smallish numbers, even with his magnifier. I'll be seeing him next week, I'll check out the finer detail first hand. Cheers for now
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 15th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 902 Thanks
    Laz123
    I seem to remember a setting on my old laptop running Vista there was a setting in network connections somewhere which was a power saver to turn off wifi when idle for some time which I had to turn off. On some old lappies there is a button on the surface which also turns on/off wifi. It lights up when on.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
    George Carlin
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,046Posts Today

6,901Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin