Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • segovia1
    • By segovia1 14th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    segovia1
    Planting ideas around compost area
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    Planting ideas around compost area 14th Sep 17 at 3:46 PM
    I’m creating a new compost area at the back of my garden. It will be tucked away in one of the corners but a reasonable size (maybe 20ft by 20ft). I’m going to put some compost bins in the very back corner of the area against a wooden fence, but would like some ideas on what I could plant as a screen (I’ll also have some stepping stones to get from the lawn area of the garden to the compost area). The area is south facing but quite heavily shaded by trees belonging to my neighbour. And from the house (and most of the garden) the compost area won’t be visible. Partly because it’s tucked away in the corner but also because a large shed will hide it. I was thinking bamboo as something that will be shade-tolerant and grow easily and not need too much tending. But any other thoughts? Perhaps there’s room for a couple of small trees - but what species to go for?
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 17th Sep 17, 7:55 PM
    • 7,331 Posts
    • 4,735 Thanks
    -taff
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:55 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:55 PM
    fruit trees? Whatever you plant in a compost area will probably go mental because of all the nutrients in the soil.
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 18th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Silence101
    • 18th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    Not bamboo! It'll spread everywhere! Except if you plant it in pots possibly. It's also almost impossible to kill, so you might find it hard to control. Maybe a bush of some kind?
    09/2017 We might be homeowners by the end of the month...
    • madjackslam
    • By madjackslam 20th Sep 17, 8:30 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    madjackslam
    • 20th Sep 17, 8:30 AM
    • 20th Sep 17, 8:30 AM
    -taff is right. My compost bins are surrounded by nettles, wild roses and brambles, all of which grow like crazy. I would suggest climbers that tolerate shade, such as honeysuckle. You really want non-thorny trees and shrubs, otherwise they are a pain (literally) when they start growing over your bins. I'd be tempted by hazel, hornbeam (which keeps its leaves on for a bit in the winter), or for something more decorative maybe cotinus?
    • Farway
    • By Farway 20th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 5,489 Posts
    • 6,684 Thanks
    Farway
    • 20th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 20th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    Black or other currants?

They love rich soils and can be left to just get on with it, or you can prune if you want to
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,638Posts Today

8,831Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin