Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Windsorcastle
    • By Windsorcastle 14th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    • 480Posts
    • 264Thanks
    Windsorcastle
    Building new extension and insurance premium
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    Building new extension and insurance premium 14th Sep 17 at 3:30 PM
    I am the freeholder for a property converted into 2 maisonettes, and therefore responsible for insuring the whole 'block'.

This year, the downstairs leaseholder has built an extension to his property which cost £57,000. The buildings insurer are asking me whether the existing cover is still sufficient or whether I need to increase the sum insured.

Presumably I do have to increase it, but do I increase it for the whole building cost of £57,000? Or what?

I don't want to be under-insured but I also don't want to be insuring too high a sum. And I'm also a bit !!!!ed off that if they increase the premium, I will end up having to pay extra as well as we always split the premium. Sorry if it's a daft question, but any advice?
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    The cost of the extension is not relevant to the insurance cover; nor is the price the property might sell at / be worth.

It's the rebuild cost that matters.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Windsorcastle
    • By Windsorcastle 14th Sep 17, 3:57 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    Windsorcastle
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:57 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:57 PM
    The cost of the extension is not relevant to the insurance cover; nor is the price the property might sell at / be worth.

It's the rebuild cost that matters.
    Originally posted by Robin9

Thanks. But how do I work out the rebuild cost once a new extension has been built? Presumably the new extension increases the rebuild cost of the whole building, but I have no idea how to work it out...
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 14th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    Google rebuild cost calculator. The one on the abi website uses RICS data to rate it.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 14th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 5,222 Posts
    • 2,476 Thanks
    rs65
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    But how do I work out the rebuild cost once a new extension has been built? Presumably the new extension increases the rebuild cost of the whole building
    Originally posted by Windsorcastle
    If you were happy with the previous sum insured, I would just increase it by £57,000. Probably a bit less but shouldn't be more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,363Posts Today

6,930Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin