Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ciwan
    • By Ciwan 14th Sep 17, 3:02 PM
    • 162Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Ciwan
    Return Car or Buy it after end of Hire Purchase Agreement?
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:02 PM
    Return Car or Buy it after end of Hire Purchase Agreement? 14th Sep 17 at 3:02 PM
    Hi all

Someone you know about my car lease that I regret. Anyways, I've decided to keep the car, as it isn't viable for me to return it and pay all that money for returning it.

After the hire purchase agreement ends though, what is the smart thing to do?
    1. Pay the balloon payment of £4,128
    2. Return the car to them

If I do buy the car fully, couldn't I sell it on for more than £4,128 on Autotrader? It'll be 3 years old, with one previous owner (non-smoker) and full-service history from Hyundai dealer.

Am I right that option 1 is best? Am I missing something?
    Total Debts: £52,220.88
Page 2
    • Ciwan
    • By Ciwan 16th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Ciwan
    Thanks will do. After the 3 years are up, must I still service it at official Hyundai dealership in order for the warranty to be valid?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 10,237 Posts
    • 7,159 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Thanks will do. After the 3 years are up, must I still service it at official Hyundai dealership in order for the warranty to be valid?
    Originally posted by Ciwan
    You've never been forced to service at a Hyundai main dealer to keep the warranty valid, however it may be a stipulation of your finance agreement that you do so. After 3 years and when the car is yours then it'll be up to you.
    • Ciwan
    • By Ciwan 16th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Ciwan
    Thanks neilmcl, I think you're right. The guy that sold me the car did say I had to do the service at their establishment. But after the 3 years, I think you're right, I can take it wherever.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

742Posts Today

6,165Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin