Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mjane
    • By mjane 14th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    mjane
    Reclaiming tax on PPI refund
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    Reclaiming tax on PPI refund 14th Sep 17 at 2:44 PM
    how do get get the tax back that i paid on a PPI refund?
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 18,707 Posts
    • 9,963 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    If you are a non taxpayer then contact HMRC.

However, as you are working illegally, I'm not sure that's such a wise idea.

i am classed as a worker, cash in hand £50pw position. im not on the payroll as an employee
    Originally posted by mjane
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 14th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    If you are a "worker" who completes a self assessment tax return you just need to include the PPI interest and tax deducted on your return as you would with any other interest and any refund due will come back to you when you send your tax return to HMRC.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 14th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:13 PM

However, as you are working illegally, I'm not sure that's such a wise idea.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude

There's nothing "illegal" about being paid cash in hand.

Indeed the DWP's own site advertises some such jobs.

Although you may wish to report an employer who you suspect isn't paying tax or NICs: www.gov.uk/report-cash-in-hand-pay

Whilst the Taylor Review did recommend abolishing cash in hand, both the Govt and Select Committee rejected the same given the reliance on cash by groups such as childminders, cleaners, window cleaners, gardeners, handymen, paperboys and those in rural areas without banks or internet access.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Sep 17, 11:56 PM
    • 18,707 Posts
    • 9,963 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:56 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:56 PM
    There's nothing "illegal" about being paid cash in hand.
    Originally posted by Mersey
    There is if the "employee" is not on the official payroll (or also claiming government benefits).

As we don't know either way, my advice that the OP might not want to bring this to the attention of HMRC still stands..
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 14-09-2017 at 11:58 PM.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 15th Sep 17, 11:21 PM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:21 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:21 PM
    There is if the "employee" is not on the official payroll (or also claiming government benefits).

As we don't know either way, my advice that the OP might not want to bring this to the attention of HMRC still stands..
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude

You admit you don't know...yet you assert the OP's "working illegally."

If the employer is avoiding tax & NICs, then yes, that is them acting unlawfully.

Nor would it be 'illegal' for the OP to claim Tax Credits or Universal Credit and be on a low income [the only exception being benefit fraud - but of course, there's no evidence of that by the OP either!]
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Sep 17, 11:56 PM
    • 18,707 Posts
    • 9,963 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:56 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:56 PM
    You admit you don't know...yet you assert the OP's "working illegally.
    Originally posted by Mersey
    Equally, you don't know that the opposite is the case, of course.

The other thread from which the information is gleaned reached a similar dead end.

As already stated, my comment that the OP might not want to bring this to the attention of HMRC will stand..
    • sun73
    • By sun73 17th Sep 17, 1:01 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    sun73
    • 17th Sep 17, 1:01 AM
    Reclaiming tax on ppl
    • 17th Sep 17, 1:01 AM
    how do get get the tax back that i paid on a PPI refund?
    Originally posted by mjane
    Fill in HMRC claim form R40 either online or download and post, see gov.uk website
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 17th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    But if you are a "worker" who does (or should) complete self assessment returns then form R40 does not apply to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

2,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin