Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CYPER
    • By CYPER 14th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 201Posts
    • 29Thanks
    CYPER
    Collision: Whose fault is it?
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    Collision: Whose fault is it? 14th Sep 17 at 2:29 PM
    Car with dascam in the rightmost lane. Van on the left of the car.
    Van cuts car off

https://youtu.be/DfvMfe9LVGI

On the same note will this just polish off? The tyre of the van hit the bumper. It mostly looks like rubber resedue?

Last edited by CYPER; 14-09-2017 at 2:37 PM.
Page 3
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 14th Sep 17, 8:39 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 3,089 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Driving without due care and attention i.e careless driving - on the part of the car driver.

He/she completely ignored the right hand indicator on the van and turned into the lane occupied by the van.

The fact that the van probably shouldn't have been there in the first place is irrelevant.

Suppose there is a cow in your path - do you drive into it because it ought not to have been there?

Three points and fine for the car driver.

As for the tyre mark on the bumper - I would recommend using Autoglym Super Resin Polish.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 14th Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    • 4,792 Posts
    • 3,810 Thanks
    glentoran99
    So committing an offence then?
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    what offence? Beeping the horn to warn of your presence is a perfectly valid reason
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 14th Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    what offence? Beeping the horn to warn of your presence is a perfectly valid reason
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Have a think about what he said and try again.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 14th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    sevenhills
    There didn't seem to be a white line dividing the lanes, but there seemed to be enough space for 2 lanes.
    The car seemed to stay over towards the right, it was the van that drove into the cars path. Van at fault; obviously a poor driver, stopping on that bend after the accident.

• Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 14th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    There didn't seem to be a white line dividing the lanes, but there seemed to be enough space for 2 lanes.
    The car seemed to stay over towards the right, it was the van that drove into the cars path. Van at fault; obviously a poor driver, stopping on that bend after the accident.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    And you don't think the car driver did anything wrong?
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 14th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    sevenhills
    And you don't think the car driver did anything wrong?
    The van turned across the car, leaving tyre marks. Difficult to see the lane position.

• treboeth
    • By treboeth 14th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    treboeth
    Making the other driver aware you are there seems acceptable
    https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q406.htm
    A horn should only be used when warning someone of danger, not to indicate your annoyance at a manner of driving.

http://www.highwaycode.info/rule/112
    Rule 112
    The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 14th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Making the other driver aware you are there seems acceptable
    https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q406.htm
    A horn should only be used when warning someone of danger, not to indicate your annoyance at a manner of driving.

http://www.highwaycode.info/rule/112
    Rule 112
    The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence.
    Originally posted by treboeth
    If he were backing off no need for the horn.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 9,579 Posts
    • 10,743 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    If he were backing off no need for the horn.
    Unless of course, there was another vehicle right behind him and backing off could have caused further problems.
    Yes, I know that if this had of caused an accident it would have been the fault of the driver behind but that doesn't mean it would have been a sensible move.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 14th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Unless of course, there was another vehicle right behind him and backing off could have caused further problems.
    Yes, I know that if this had of caused an accident it would have been the fault of the driver behind but that doesn't mean it would have been a sensible move.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Backing off not slamming on. Given the van was still driving there would be no chance of an impact between van and car.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    • 9,579 Posts
    • 10,743 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Backing off still means you would be slowing down and if there was another vehicle right behind and they saw no reason for the OP's vehicle to slow, there is still the possibility of a collision.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 14th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590
    Oh dear.....
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • CYPER
    • By CYPER 14th Sep 17, 9:54 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    CYPER
    A lot of people mentioned the van indicating and I would like to say 2 things:

1 - I did not see the indicator due to the low sun. The camera image is underexposed .
    2 - An indicator does not give right of way.

I did exactly what The Highway Code says I should do, while he didn't:

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle (unless signs or markings indicate otherwise):
    Signal right and approach the exit in the right hand lane
    Keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to reach your exit
    Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you intend to take
    Btw I managed to completely remove the "damage" with WD-40, T-Cut Rapid Scratch Remover and a drill+attachment.

• Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 14th Sep 17, 10:00 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    The van turned across the car, leaving tyre marks. Difficult to see the lane position.
    From what I saw, the car steered into the van. It looked to me like the car was taking the turning even though there was a vehicle there.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th Sep 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    From what I saw, the car steered into the van. It looked to me like the car was taking the turning even though there was a vehicle there.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    Yes. The OP has stated that an indicator doesn't give right of way but he couldn't see it anyway. But he must have seen the van yet chose to drive into the rear corner of it anyway.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Comments below.
    A lot of people mentioned the van indicating and I would like to say 2 things:

1 - I did not see the indicator due to the low sun. The camera image is underexposed . doesnt matter, as per your second point, and you shouldn't rely on indicators anyway
    2 - An indicator does not give right of way. nor is it something that should be entirely relied upon

I did exactly what The Highway Code says I should do, while he didn't:

But the Highway Code doesn't say to take your exit under any circumstances, even when there's a van between it and you.

Btw I managed to completely remove the "damage" with WD-40, T-Cut Rapid Scratch Remover and a drill+attachment. Nice job!

Originally posted by CYPER
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 14th Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    That would be illogical.

If that was the case, the side of the car would be dented/scratched; it has tyre marks.

• shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 9,579 Posts
    • 10,743 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    That would be illogical.

If that was the case, the side of the car would be dented/scratched; it has tyre marks.
    Why would that be the case?
    It the car steered into the van, it's entirely possible that the side of the bumper came into contact with the rear tyre of the van.
    • CYPER
    • By CYPER 14th Sep 17, 10:44 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    CYPER
    Yes. The OP has stated that an indicator doesn't give right of way but he couldn't see it anyway. But he must have seen the van yet chose to drive into the rear corner of it anyway.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    I did not chose to hit that vat. Any sane person, which I am would avoid such a collision.
    Not seeing his indicators because of the sun shining I assumed the van is going straight being in the left lane. He then made a very quick last minute manoeuvre into my lane as to not miss his exit and even though I braked we collided.

If I had any expectations that he is going round, then I would have let him pass, but him being in the wrong lane is the main cause of the collision.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 14th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    I did not chose to hit that vat. Any sane person, which I am would avoid such a collision.
    Not seeing his indicators because of the sun shining I assumed the van is going straight being in the left lane. He then made a very quick last minute manoeuvre into my lane as to not miss his exit and even though I braked we collided.

If I had any expectations that he is going round, then I would have let him pass, but him being in the wrong lane is the main cause of the collision.
    Originally posted by CYPER
    But you didn't avoid one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,647Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin