Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CYPER
    • By CYPER 14th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 201Posts
    • 25Thanks
    CYPER
    Collision: Whose fault is it?
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    Collision: Whose fault is it? 14th Sep 17 at 2:29 PM
    Car with dascam in the rightmost lane. Van on the left of the car.
    Van cuts car off

https://youtu.be/DfvMfe9LVGI

On the same note will this just polish off? The tyre of the van hit the bumper. It mostly looks like rubber resedue?

Last edited by CYPER; 14-09-2017 at 2:37 PM.
Page 2
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Sep 17, 4:21 PM
    • 10,013 Posts
    • 6,999 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Van cuts car off

On the same note will this just polish off? The tyre of the van hit the bumper. It mostly looks like rubber resedue?

Originally posted by CYPER
    I would say that it's a 50/50 at best, car driver at worst. If the dash cam picked up the van then why didn't the car driver do so and if he did he would have easily anticipated what was about to happen, instead he just turned into the van. Clearly not paying attention imho.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 10,013 Posts
    • 6,999 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I would say it's the van drivers fault.
    It looks like he was going to exit left at the 14 second mark then at the last moment realised he didn't want to but in fact wanted the next left and then swerved a bit to the right and into the lane you were in.
    Originally posted by George Michael
    I disagree, the van drivers right hand indicator was on throughout, I didn't see him swerve, I saw the car driver turn into him.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Sep 17, 4:25 PM
    • 10,013 Posts
    • 6,999 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Van 100% he moved lanes
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Did he, that's not what I saw.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 10,013 Posts
    • 6,999 Thanks
    neilmcl
    van indicating right on left lane at round about, Surely he had just left his indicator on rather than intentionally doing that
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Not necessarily. Would be nice to know where this roundabout is, I know of a couple in my area where you can turn right from the left hand lane. Irrelevent though as his intentions were clear for all to see from the outset.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    • 10,013 Posts
    • 6,999 Thanks
    neilmcl
    You're right, the car veered across into a lane that was already and very visibly occupied. Simple.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    I see what you did there (almost caught me out)
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 14th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    If you keep an eye on the double yellows on the inside of the roundabout, the car seems to stop following the line and veers off into the rear of the van. Also seems like the van had got ahead of the car and the car is accelerating up behind the van when it hits. Poor driving by both and will go 50/50 for insurance purposes.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 14th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 11,279 Posts
    • 8,492 Thanks
    unholyangel
    OP you're aware your car registration is showing in the video?

Tbh its a tough call, but everything in the video looks like the car was indicating & intending to come off the roundabout at the 3rd exit, didn't check the lane to the left of them was clear and started to move over assuming it would be.

I'd say 5050. Van driver should have been in the right lane, car should have moved over to the left lane (easing off accelerator to drop behind the van if necessary) after passing the coned exit instead of trying to exit from the right lane onto a single lane exit.

Although the van driver gave a further display of their awesome driving knowledge by stopping where he did to exchange details - where theres a double solid white line in the centre of the road which is probably there due to it being dangerous to overtake on such a bend.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • CYPER
    • By CYPER 14th Sep 17, 5:23 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    CYPER
    Here is the roundabout: https://goo.gl/maps/8pdySQknjtq
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 14th Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    He's in the wrong lane but the van is clearly indicating before both he and the car join the roundabout.

This was easily avoidable by the car driver.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 14th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 2,521 Thanks
    cjdavies
    The van driver looks as if they are doing the classic cut around the corner instead of staying on the outside (left) as much as possible.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 9,442 Posts
    • 10,611 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Personally, I'd put it as 50/50.

It does appear that the van moved over to the right just before the impact but as Nobbie stated earlier, if you use the lines on the inside of the roundabout as a reference, the car does move over to the left.

Looking at the photo of the bumper. A bit of WD40 to get the rubber/plastic off then a good going over with polish should hopefully get it looking good again.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 14th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    • 10,876 Posts
    • 6,183 Thanks
    DUTR
    Van cuts car off

Originally posted by CYPER
    OP, to me it looks like you are in the wrong, in effect you are too close to the van whilst in motion, can you upload a close up of the damage? As on a positive note it looks like it can be machine polished out.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 14th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Its a case weere both at fault. However car should really have realised that the van had to miss their turn off and would not be vacating the space the car drove into.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 14th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Tom99
    Car - they could have avoided the accident
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 14th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    Car - they could have avoided the accident
    Originally posted by Tom99
    Surely the van driver could have avoided it as well by keeping more to the left.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 14th Sep 17, 7:54 PM
    • 10,876 Posts
    • 6,183 Thanks
    DUTR
    Surely the van driver could have avoided it as well by keeping more to the left.
    Originally posted by Hermione Granger
    Sort of yes, but the car was just to close to the rear not leaving much room for any oddities, and the driver of the car has the advantage of the better view ahead.
    If it was a MK7 Golf, the too close indicator would have been on for the duration of the video (perhaps may have even brought the vehicle to a stop avoiding the collision).
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 14th Sep 17, 8:04 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Apodemus
    No idea who's fault, but I liked the nice, chilled music he's playing in the car!
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 14th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 11,530 Posts
    • 6,450 Thanks
    Strider590
    Van driver goes right from the left lane, it's as simple as that. The signage and road markings are perfectly clear, if he didn't know where he was going he should have been paying extra attention.

Me? I'd have been leaning on the horn and backing off as soon as he got past 12'oclock.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 14th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 5,597 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    You certainly were not paying attention.
    That wont help.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 14th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Van driver goes right from the left lane, it's as simple as that. The signage and road markings are perfectly clear, if he didn't know where he was going he should have been paying extra attention.

Me? I'd have been leaning on the horn and backing off as soon as he got past 12'oclock.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    So committing an offence then?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,349Posts Today

7,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin