Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CYPER
    • By CYPER 14th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 201Posts
    • 25Thanks
    CYPER
    Collision: Whose fault is it?
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    Collision: Whose fault is it? 14th Sep 17 at 2:29 PM
    Car with dascam in the rightmost lane. Van on the left of the car.
    Van cuts car off

https://youtu.be/DfvMfe9LVGI

On the same note will this just polish off? The tyre of the van hit the bumper. It mostly looks like rubber resedue?

Last edited by CYPER; 14-09-2017 at 2:37 PM.
Page 1
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 14th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 3,829 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    I would say it's the van drivers fault.
    It looks like he was going to exit left at the 14 second mark then at the last moment realised he didn't want to but in fact wanted the next left and then swerved a bit to the right and into the lane you were in.
    • mvteng
    • By mvteng 14th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    mvteng
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    I would say the car.

Without doubt the van driver is all over the place, but the car driver should have been driving more defensively on a roundabout & held back
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 14th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    Van, absolutely no question.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 14th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    Looks like the road straight on has been closed off? If so the van driver was left wondering where to go. The van driver is certainly moving about a bit but as has been said the car driver should have realised there was a potential problem (assuming that road was coned off).
    ‘I’m not in favour of this new-age drippiness’ JRM
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 14th Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    Van, absolutely no question.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Would you put your money on that? I don't think I would. (But I tend to agree)
    ‘I’m not in favour of this new-age drippiness’ JRM
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 14th Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    • 4,578 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Van 100% he moved lanes
    • Wookey
    • By Wookey 14th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Wookey
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    Looks to me like the van driver, the roundabout appears to be wide enough to have two lanes so he should be maintaining his lane until his exit, he looks like he queued for the correct exit (left lane on approach for first or second exit) but couldn't manage to maintain it due to careless driving.

On a second look it appears he moved from right lane on approach to the left lane, classic sign of someone who is not sure where they want to go, that should make the car driver a bit more cautious as to the van drivers intentions but van driver still at fault for moving into the path of another vehicle, indicating is no excuse as you are at the mercy of another driver who will either yield to you or go on past.
    Last edited by Wookey; 14-09-2017 at 3:42 PM.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 14th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 4,578 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Looks like the road straight on has been closed off? If so the van driver was left wondering where to go. The van driver is certainly moving about a bit but as has been said the car driver should have realised there was a potential problem (assuming that road was coned off).
    Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu
    it was after the next exit he movedso nothing to do with the cones
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 14th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Probably 50/50 for insurance but the car driver was a bloody fool.

Van was in the wrong lane but was indicating that he wanted to go right, van was ahead of the car at all times. car drove into back corner of van who was indicating his intention (albeit from the wrong entry lane).
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 14th Sep 17, 3:35 PM
    • 4,578 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Probably 50/50 for insurance but the car driver was a bloody fool.

Van was in the wrong lane but was indicating that he wanted to go right, van was ahead of the car at all times. car drove into back corner of van who was indicating his intention (albeit from the wrong entry lane).
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    van indicating right on left lane at round about, Surely he had just left his indicator on rather than intentionally doing that
    • mvteng
    • By mvteng 14th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    mvteng
    he looks like he queued for the correct exit (left lane on approach for second exit) but couldn't manage to maintain it due to careless driving.
    Originally posted by Wookey
    I'm not sure about that. the van drivers right indicator is flashing from before he even enters the roundabout. I think he always meant to turn right but got caught in the left lane.

As above, the driver of the car should have noticed his flashing right indicator & held back until he was sure exactly what the van driver was doing.
    • mvteng
    • By mvteng 14th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    mvteng
    van indicating right on left lane at round about, Surely he had just left his indicator on rather than intentionally doing that
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    maybe, maybe not.

in either case, the car driver should have driven with caution
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 14th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Originally posted by glentoran99

That's a very dangerous assumption to make, and was clearly wrong in this case. At very least it should have been a warning to pay extra attention to where the van was going.

It was pretty clear while the car was still behind the van as they passed the first (closed) closed exit that the van wasn't "straightening" for the next (open) exit.

As I say, likely 50/50 for insurance but entirely avoidable by the car.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 14th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 4,578 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    glentoran99
    So don't give the dashcam footage to the insurer....
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 14th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 2,966 Posts
    • 5,536 Thanks
    warehouse
    Easy to be wise after the event but......personally I'd have hung back from the van due to erratic driving and not a lot of leeway. Hopefully your insurance will be on your side.

What did the van driver say?
    Pants
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 14th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    I'd say car, but likely 50/50. It looks like a 12 oclock turning, so I would have been in the left lane or been very cautious about anyone who is in the left lane. From the view from the dashcam, I would have honked my horn in annoyance and gone around the roundabout again avoiding a collision and the delay would have been shorter than it was having to exchange details.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,264 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    50/50 on insurance I'd think if it went that far. Van driver careless with his road positioning and indication but car driver also at fault for ignoring the indication and driving into the rear corner of the van.

It might rub off and be ok. Notify your insurer for information purposes even if you're not making a claim. To not do so would be in breach of your policy and could see you in all sorts of bother if the other driver notifies his insurer.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 14th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Stoke
    Whether the car driver should, could, would, is irrelevant. All the matters is the cold hard facts.... and the fact is we have a roundabout for two vehicles, and one veers across the other due to an incorrect use of lanes. Simple.

For me this is the kind of case that is as open and shut as it can be.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th Sep 17, 4:15 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,264 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    the fact is we have a roundabout for two vehicles, and one veers across the other due to an incorrect use of lanes. Simple.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    You're right, the car veered across into a lane that was already and very visibly occupied. Simple.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,867Posts Today

8,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin