Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 14th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 2,057Posts
    • 9,508Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    PiP (Care) and Sheltered Housing...
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    PiP (Care) and Sheltered Housing... 14th Sep 17 at 1:40 PM
    I just thought I'd share what happened....in case people are claiming PiPs (Care Component) and living in Sheltered Housing..

As explained in an earlier thread, I recently went through the DLA to PiP transfer.

I was at the bank and got a mini-statement and realised the amount in my account was less than expected, so went through each item.....there was my last DLA payment....and the 'extra' payment....and there was my PiP - but MUCH less than expected.

A quick check of the figures and I spotted the problem...my mobility was being paid, but not the care component.

So, yet ANOTHER phone call to the DWP....and I discovered that they had simply cancelled my care component without informing me! Apparently they noted that I live in sheltered accommodation and made the assumption that this means I am in a nursing/care home.

They have a contact number for me...one phone call and they would have been told that this place is NOT a care home...or they could have written to me, and I could have sent them proof....or contact the council and they would have stated that this is sheltered housing...I pay all my own bills, I pay rent, I do not have nursing care (no one in this residential block does).

Instead, they simply stop my payments!....and call me cynical, but perhaps they hoped I might not notice what they had done?

Looking online it appears that I am far from alone in this experience...the DWP will make the assumption that sheltered housing or retirement housing is the same as a nursing or care home and simply stop payment of Care PiPs without informing the claimant.

I have been assured that they have rectified the matter, and I will be getting a back payment...but it strikes me as pretty shoddy service!
Page 1
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,849 Posts
    • 15,394 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    It sounds pretty shoddy to me too . It's something I've never thought of but good of you to highlight this for those in the same situation as yourself . It's fortunate you budget well , but what if you'd gone to take that money out for something urgent ?
    polly
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,869Users online

Martin's Twitter