Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simonvw
    • By simonvw 14th Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    simonvw
    UK current/instant access accounts that accept EU address
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    UK current/instant access accounts that accept EU address 14th Sep 17 at 1:39 PM
    Hello, I am British and live in The Netherlands and hold several bank accounts in the UK which were opened long before I moved abroad. They are all set up - as much as possible - for paperless settings, while any mail goes to the UK address of a family member. It's far from ideal but that's just the way it is. But I wondered if anyone knew if there was any actual laws on retaining a UK bank account if you move abroad? Most banks would have you believe that you have to close your account if you leave the country permanently because of tax reasons, but is this right or is it purely down to the individual bank concerned? I still pay UK tax on income I receive from rental houses so paying tax is not the issue for me, it's purely one of convenience. If I could use my real overseas address for bank correspondence, then I would. Thanks all for any suggestions.
Page 1
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 14th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,376 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    When we lived in the Republic of Ireland, we never had any trouble with Lloyds - and we moved several times. We had to do the change of address in writing (on actual paper, in an envelope, with a stamp!!!), but other than that, no problems.
    • leon_panda
    • By leon_panda 14th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leon_panda
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    Try Monese... they accept any EU Address.
    You get your own Account Number and Sort Code + Contactless Visa. It now supports Direct Debit as well.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 16th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    Anybody with an address in the EU should be able to open a Basic Bank Account (so long as the rest of your documents are valid, no CIFAS markers, etc). Most high street banks won't advertise this as it involves more admin for often less financial gain, and the banks that have dedicated International Banking would of course prefer you use that instead. But have a look around and you'll see this is offered by HSBC, Santander, Nationwide, etc. You'll probably have to open the account in person in branch, as opposed to online, and be prepared to argue with staff who may not realise you qualify!
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Lith
    • By Lith 18th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Lith
    • 18th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    Not sure what the problem is here? i have around 11 uk bank accounts and during my time living in NZ,

i changed all my address to my NZ address without a problem.

They cannot refuse it... on what grounds can they? it never happened to me.
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
    • HappyFrog
    • By HappyFrog 18th Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    HappyFrog
    • 18th Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    I think you will find most UK banks will allow you to change your address to an overseas address if you opened the account originally with a UK address. Some more enlightened banks will even allow you to update your mobile number with an overseas number (eg. Lloyds). Others won't (eg Tesco Bank). Opening an account with an overseas address is normally impossible as most normal current accounts will require a credit check which can only be done on a UK address. As noted above, you might get away with opening a basic account without a credit check.

Banks are required to report whether you are a non-UK resident for tax purposes, although if you retain a UK address they probably won't come running after you as they have no basis to suspect you are actually living overseas. If you do update your address for an overseas one they will send you a residency self-certification form for you to confirm your tax residence status.
    • simonvw
    • By simonvw 21st Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    simonvw
    • 21st Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 21st Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    Dear all, thanks for your feedback. It effectively confirms what I thought, ie that the banks don't really have any grounds for closing an account if I move abroad, and in any case I cannot see how they would benefit from this.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 21st Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 18,543 Posts
    • 14,272 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 21st Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 21st Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    Dear all, thanks for your feedback. It effectively confirms what I thought, ie that the banks don't really have any grounds for closing an account if I move abroad, and in any case I cannot see how they would benefit from this.
    Originally posted by simonvw
    Although of course a bank can decline to retain you as a client for whatever reason they want.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,603Posts Today

9,975Users online

Martin's Twitter