Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 9,175Posts
    • 8,627Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Car Insurance - getting the best price
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    Car Insurance - getting the best price 14th Sep 17 at 1:24 PM
    It's that time of year again, heralded by an eMail from Confused.com telling me that my Car Insurance is nearly due for renewal.

Helpfully, they've sent me a set of quotes based on my details from last year. My current provider's renewal letter arrives a few days later, and it looks like there's money to be saved.

So, I hop on to Confused.com, verify all the details and get a fresh quote. I tinker with some of the optional things to see what difference it makes to the premium.

I notice that Admiral is coming in second in price, and when I find out that I can get £51 cashback from Quidco, I'm over there and plugging in my details... only to find that their quote via Quidco is over £100 more. Bad form Admiral, I never liked you.

So, back to my current provider, and a quick phone call gets me a matching price, more or less - a saving of £53 or 14%.

Did I do the right thing forgetting about tackling Admiral on their duplicitous pricing?

I'm done now for this year, but what other things should I bear in mind for the future?

Is there anything I can do to preserve my 11 years No Claims record when my present insurer doesn't track it above 9 years, and is there any advantage to doing so?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 14th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 3,502 Thanks
    rudekid48
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    It's that time of year again, heralded by an eMail from Confused.com telling me that my Car Insurance is nearly due for renewal.

Helpfully, they've sent me a set of quotes based on my details from last year. My current provider's renewal letter arrives a few days later, and it looks like there's money to be saved.

So, I hop on to Confused.com, verify all the details and get a fresh quote. I tinker with some of the optional things to see what difference it makes to the premium.

I notice that Admiral is coming in second in price, and when I find out that I can get £51 cashback from Quidco, I'm over there and plugging in my details... only to find that their quote via Quidco is over £100 more. Bad form Admiral, I never liked you.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Yet you were on Confused.com which is owned by.......
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    • 25,708 Posts
    • 10,218 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    Blame quidco for wanting to get paid when they find you this cashback deal?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    • 9,175 Posts
    • 8,627 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    Yet you were on Confused.com which is owned by.......
    Originally posted by rudekid48
    Yes, it's coming back to me now... Admiral.

Just as well I didn't buy through Confused or Quidco.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 9,175 Posts
    • 8,627 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    Blame quidco for wanting to get paid when they find you this cashback deal?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I thought that the unwritten rule of cashback was that it doesn't cost the consumer anything (at least not in the short term)?

If you're paying for your own cashback, that's a bit pointless. And paying for your cashback and then another £50 on top...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,297Posts Today

8,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin