Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NationalElfService
    • By NationalElfService 14th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NationalElfService
    Self-assessed Tax, PAYE and student loan
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    Self-assessed Tax, PAYE and student loan 14th Sep 17 at 12:53 PM
    Hi all,

So i'm filling out my first ever SA tax return for some rental income I've earned between Nov-Apr last year.

I was merrily filling in the form, and it asked me to enter my Student Loan repayments (payment plan 1) for last year, which was £753.

When it came time to the actual calculation there was a line that read:

"plus Student Loan repayments" which amounted to £846!

Does this money go to the Student loan company or is it paid to HMRC?

I wasn't really expecting it, but if it goes towards paying off my student loan a bit faster I guess I can't really complain too hard. Just hoping to understand where this money goes!

Thank you,

NES
Page 1
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 14th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 9,314 Posts
    • 16,900 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    HMRC pay it to the student loan company
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 18,537 Posts
    • 14,258 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    Your PAYE student loan repayments are also taken by HMRC and passed on to SLC at the end of the year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

5,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin