Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Trevstanx
    • By Trevstanx 14th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Trevstanx
    Council Tax Overpayment
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    Council Tax Overpayment 14th Sep 17 at 12:37 PM
    Hi all I have a query if anyone can help.

Last year my partner was working up until January 2016 then we were moved on to benefits whilst she was working we were paying Council Tax but it was the first 10 months then you don't pay for 2 months this has caused an overpayment.

We got out CT bill in march for 17/18 and at the bottom it says "Credit transfer from previous year £120.42 CR"

How do we go about claiming it back?
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 14th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 10,660 Posts
    • 12,547 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    Request a refund?

https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/forms/form/1190/en/request_a_refund_on_your_council_tax_account

Google your local council and the words 'council tax refund' to see if there is a form.

Or telephone and ask.

Not sure if all councils refund.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 14th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 4,677 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    Are you sure it hasnt adjusted your payments to lower?

Usually that would just reduce the bill, so instead of £100 a month you may pay £90
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • CIS
    • By CIS 14th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 9,978 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    CIS
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    Hi all I have a query if anyone can help.

Last year my partner was working up until January 2016 then we were moved on to benefits whilst she was working we were paying Council Tax but it was the first 10 months then you don't pay for 2 months this has caused an overpayment.

We got out CT bill in march for 17/18 and at the bottom it says "Credit transfer from previous year £120.42 CR"

How do we go about claiming it back?
    Originally posted by Trevstanx
    You can ask for it back and most councils will do so without an issue but bear in mind that you council tax payments for this year will likely have to go up to compensate for the £120 as the instalments will usually have been adjusted already.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Trevstanx
    • By Trevstanx 15th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Trevstanx
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    All sorted popped in my local Customer Access Point she done something on the computer and me and my partner had to sign something.

As I am on benefits now as I can't work due to disability and my partner is caring for me so doesn't look like either of us are going to be back in work my Council Tax is fully up to date due to receiving benefits and that £120 has just been there since we got our new Council tax bill.
    Last edited by Trevstanx; 15-09-2017 at 8:03 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,635Posts Today

7,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin