Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cook0891
    • By cook0891 14th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 99Posts
    • 34Thanks
    cook0891
    OHU whilst off sick
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    OHU whilst off sick 14th Sep 17 at 12:28 PM
    Hi.

I am currently signed off from work for two weeks with anxiety and depression. I have today had a letter asking me to attend an appointment with OHU for whilst I am still on the sick.

Are they allowed to do this whilst signed off? Also it says I can delay the appointment which is what I am thinking about doing as I just don't feel up to it yet. My medication is just kicking in so I am all over the place. I am sure OHU would help but just don't feel I am up to it mentally yet.

So two questions really, can they legally ask me to go whilst still signed off and am I within my rights to ask for a delay (I have no issues going at some point)

Thanks in advance!!!
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 14th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 6,502 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    Yes they can ask whilst you are off sick. You have no right in law to refuse. Whether it is negotiable depends on the employer - some will suspend sick pay if you don't attend when asked. They can do that. So it really is down to the policy of your own employer
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 14th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    The main reason you are off is work related. OH will give you an opportunity to talk about these issues and work with the employer to find a way forward.

Look at it as a step towards recovery.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Sep 17, 1:54 AM
    • 37,819 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:54 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:54 AM
    If you look at it logically (which I accept can be difficult when you're anxious and depressed), surely the very best time to see the OHU is BEFORE you return to work, ie while you're still signed off?

I know the only time I've had to see them was when I was off work for a couple of months with a crocked shoulder, and that is not the same, but there would really have been no point going once I was fit to be back at work! They were able to give advice to my employer about temporary adjustments I'd need, and it was very helpful.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • cook0891
    • By cook0891 15th Sep 17, 11:40 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    cook0891
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:40 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:40 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. I asked my line manager to postpone the meeting and that was fine. Have to say my work (local government) have been very supportive so far. It is now in a few weeks, I doubt I will be back before then so as Sue says will be better to see them before going back full time (hopefully) Thanks again!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

386Posts Today

5,019Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin