Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 14th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1,814Posts
    • 647Thanks
    Stoke
    unauthorised user of buyer or bidder account
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    unauthorised user of buyer or bidder account 14th Sep 17 at 12:16 PM
    Here's an odd one. Not going to complain too much as eBay have done me right, but seems the buyer is laughing at this situation....

I've lately been selling old audio equipment online. Mostly stuff that's sat in a box for years and it's bringing in prices from less than a tenner to upwards of £100. Everything I've sold has been rock bottom price.... i.e. I've taken the lowest one on eBay and then listed mine for a little bit less, so they've been selling pretty well. I also use Make Offer's and will usually knock a few quid off if a decent enough offer comes in.

Last Thursday, a buyer BIN's one of my items. Full price. Pays instantly. No problem.

Being mid morning. I package up and ship the item the same day, RM next day delivery with the buyers verified address. Next day, the item is 'removed' from eBay with the message in the title of this thread and this fairly vague description:

We had to cancel bids and purchases on the following item(s) for the buyer, ******, because they were made without the account owner's permission.
    The item had already finished with a BIN. So a tad late to the party....

Along with various tips that really don't apply such as:
    Set a BIN that requires immediate payment. The buyer paid immediately anyway, so that wouldn't have helped....

....and a suggestion to contact the shipping company to stop it. i.e. phone royal mail and try and block the postage of an item that was probably already delivered.

Given it a few days. The money has not been taken from my PayPal and I've not really looked at final value fees, so I phone eBay and was told:

"There's no need for me to refund them. eBay have refunded them. There's no need for me to worry either, as eBay won't take the money off me".

So essentially at this point, the buyer has the item.... and the money, albeit eBays money. Free item.

Brilliant trick. Not bothered myself, but if you can pull this off a few times on more expensive items, you're quids in. Wonder if it'll end up back on eBay in a few days.
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 14th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    You say you aren't 'going to complain too much' - but what have you got to complain about at all?

Not sure what the message of this lengthy post is...I don't imagine for a moment you are suggesting it's a course of action anyone here should try!!
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 14th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    You say you aren't 'going to complain too much' - but what have you got to complain about at all?

Not sure what the message of this lengthy post is...I don't imagine for a moment you are suggesting it's a course of action anyone here should try!!
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Of course I'm not suggesting try it. It's essentially fraud. I am wary however, that had I not sent the item immediately, it might have been a different story regarding the money.

I'm saying it's baffling that eBay have basically let them do this. It's a verified address on their account, so eBay will know that the 500 previous transactions on their history will involve that address.

I mean, it's not my money. I don't give a rats backside what they do with it, but I'm wondering have others seen this done?
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 14th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,081 Posts
    • 1,790 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    You don't actually know what's happened at the buyers end though do you? I occasionally get similar emails about buyers and it is nearly always about a different transaction on their account the details of which I am nor privy to. A blanket email goes out to all their current selling transactions.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 14th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    You don't actually know what's happened at the buyers end though do you? I occasionally get similar emails about buyers and it is nearly always about a different transaction on their account the details of which I am nor privy to. A blanket email goes out to all their current selling transactions.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    oooh, so it might not have even been my item then.

Interesting.... wonder what happens if they open a IND case then? :-\
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,602Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin