Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redandwhitestripes
    • By redandwhitestripes 14th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 21Thanks
    redandwhitestripes
    Friend living as tenant with no contract
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    Friend living as tenant with no contract 14th Sep 17 at 12:11 PM
    Am writing this for my sister ( yes really!!) as we want to get some advice on a situation.

My sister owns a house- property A
    ( I am on the deeds as well although I didn't put any money in - it was done years ago to help her get a mortgage).
    There is no mortgage left on this.

She lives with a partner in property B - which they have a 50/50 share - again no mortgage.

Property A is currently occupied by a friend of my sister - she has been there for about 5 years, originally as a favour.
    The friend doesn't pay rent, but pays bills and keeps the house tidy - also, and importantly, there is no official contract.
    Stupid I know but things just happened..

Unfortunately now, my sister and partner are splitting up and will eventually sell property B and my sister will want to move back into property A.

She has explained the situation to the friend, who having had years of enjoying rentfree living, is now delaying things and being a bit stubborn.

My sister has been good and given 2 months notice orally, and by email , but am wondering where this stands legally.

Can we use a Section 8 or 21 notice as there is no deposit or contract?
    I'm not sure if this is a 'tenant at will' situation.

She is going down the diplomatic route first, but just in case things get sticky.....would be good to know where we stand.
Page 2
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 14th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    sevenhills
    But don't actually do that: She could pay 1 month's rent then would have much stronger tenant rights and be harder to evict.
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    Since the friend is not a tenant now, put the rent at £5,000 per week?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,084Posts Today

6,619Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin