Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RBizz
    • By RBizz 14th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RBizz
    0 WOW
    Cover for missed 'connection'
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    0 WOW
    Cover for missed 'connection' 14th Sep 17 at 12:01 PM
    I have been searching online but can't find an answer to my specific question so here it goes.
    I am due to fly back from China to the UK next year (26th of April), I have another holiday booked, with a different airline and travel provider which departs on the 27th of April.
    I have comprehensive travel insurance but want to know if the first flight back from China is delayed so much I miss my second flight the next day would travel insurance cover this ?
    As its not an official connection so it wouldn't be the first airlines responsibility to cover. But I cannot see anything on line which covers this situation.

The first flight would have to be delayed for more than a day for me to miss the second trip, but I am getting a bit worried.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 14th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 1,821 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    You have to check your policy or ask your insurer. I have AmEx Travel Insurance and they cover missed flights as a result of failure or disruption to public transport.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 14th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 11,645 Posts
    • 7,894 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    I do not think that this is an insurable risk. Could you change your flights?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 14th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    You need to read your policy. No one on here knows what cover you bought and whether two completely unrelated bookings would be covered for missed departure due to a delayed flight arrival. I have a feeling most standard policies wouldn't.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 14th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 11,645 Posts
    • 7,894 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    You have to check your policy or ask your insurer. I have AmEx Travel Insurance and they cover missed flights as a result of failure or disruption to public transport.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    That cover would not help in the OP's situation.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 9,593 Posts
    • 10,753 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    That cover would not help in the OP's situation.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Why not?
    Provided that the missed departure was caused by an earlier flight delay, there is no reason why they shouldn't pay out.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 14th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    Why not?
    Provided that the missed departure was caused by an earlier flight delay, there is no reason why they shouldn't pay out.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa

It would depend on whether the insurers class flights as public transport.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 9,593 Posts
    • 10,753 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    I think all travel insurers do class both scheduled and charter flights as public transport.
    This is AMEX's (jpsartre's insurer) definition of Public transport

Public transport
    Any transport by road, rail, sea or air with a licensed carrier operating a regular and/or charter passenger service on which you are booked to travel.
    and as insurance policies generally have very similar definitions, they will probably all be pretty much the same.

This is SAGA (who I'm with)
    Scheduled public transport
    Any regular form of transport which takes fare paying passengers and runs to a timetable: train, coach, bus, aircraft and sea vessel.
    • photome
    • By photome 14th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 12,770 Posts
    • 8,248 Thanks
    photome
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    just wondering what you would call it if not public transport
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 14th Sep 17, 5:51 PM
    • 11,645 Posts
    • 7,894 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    I think all travel insurers do class both scheduled and charter flights as public transport.
    This is AMEX's (jpsartre's insurer) definition of Public transport

and as insurance policies generally have very similar definitions, they will probably all be pretty much the same.

This is SAGA (who I'm with)
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    I suspect that those definitions exclude international journeys.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 9,593 Posts
    • 10,753 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I suspect that those definitions exclude international journeys.
    Unless there is such an exclusion stated in the policy, there is no reason to think that international journeys are excluded.
    Insurance companies are no different to any other company that forms contracts in that they can't write those contracts with a specific set of terms, conditions and definitions then simply amend them as they see fit.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 15th Sep 17, 12:19 AM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Originally posted by photome
    Fair comment. So do you think an insurance company would pay out if a bus or train you were on 24 hrs prior was delayed, causing you to miss a flight?
    • photome
    • By photome 15th Sep 17, 6:39 AM
    • 12,770 Posts
    • 8,248 Thanks
    photome
    Fair comment. So do you think an insurance company would pay out if a bus or train you were on 24 hrs prior was delayed, causing you to miss a flight?
    Yes i think so
    • RBizz
    • By RBizz 15th Sep 17, 4:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RBizz
    Thanks for the replies, I am with AmEx travel insurance so will call them tonight, just wanted to see if anyone had a similar situation to save me spending forever on hold
    No way to take a different flight, as both are part of separate package holidays
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 15th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 7,030 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    I would say it wouldn't.

If you look at it logically then the two trips are, theoretically, independent of each other.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 15th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 1,821 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I would say it wouldn't.

If you look at it logically then the two trips are, theoretically, independent of each other.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    How is that relevant? A car journey to the airport is just as independent from a flight and there are still insurances that will cover should your car break down and you miss your flight.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 17th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    slinga
    Got a similar question.
    We are flying Singapore to LHR on Swiss next March.

First Class from Singapore to Zurich and then BC Zurich to LHR.

There is 55min between flights arriving and departing in Zurich.

What might happen if the flight from Singapore to Zurich is delayed and we miss our connection to LHR?
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 12,770 Posts
    • 8,248 Thanks
    photome
    Got a similar question.
    We are flying Singapore to LHR on Swiss next March.

First Class from Singapore to Zurich and then BC Zurich to LHR.

There is 55min between flights arriving and departing in Zurich.

What might happen if the flight from Singapore to Zurich is delayed and we miss our connection to LHR?
    Originally posted by slinga
    I assume is all on one ticket, if so then the airline will put you on the next available flight ( in my case at AMS this year that was almost 24 hours later)

better to start your own thread as this is a different topic
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 19th Sep 17, 10:18 AM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    stoneman
    I do not think that this is an insurable risk. Could you change your flights?
    Yes it is covetable but you have to a lot of legwork to find it.
    Let me help though. Multi trip.com include it in one of their premium packages. I use them because we do a lot of Ex Eu trips.

We missed our connection back to London from Copenhagen due to the late incoming aircraft we were on. The only flight back was the next morning so we booked into the airport Hilton. Cost was £250 of which our insurers paid all but our excess of £90
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 19th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    stoneman
    Originally posted by photome
    Yes this is what our insurers call it. Failure of public transport is covered so I rang them before accepting the policy to make sure it included missed air travel as public transport.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,235Posts Today

7,344Users online

Martin's Twitter