Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kodelord1
    • By kodelord1 14th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kodelord1
    0 WOW
    ryanair debit card charges
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    0 WOW
    ryanair debit card charges 14th Sep 17 at 11:52 AM
    Hello
    I booked a ryanair ticket online using my debit card to avoid the extra charges, but they still charged me. Seems like not only do you need to use a debit card but also choose the specific option in the drop down (which cleverlyis defaultd to the credit card) so i still got stung.

I called up the customer service who said I need to contact them usin the contact form and with a copy of the bank statement to prove i used the debit card.

Does any one have any clue how to do this - the contact form leads to a live chat, and there is no email address or such to upload the statement.
Page 1
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 14th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    https://contactform.ryanair.com/?cr=4-0&lg=en&id=43&compr=Payments
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 14th Sep 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 1,025 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:39 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:39 PM
    Of course you need to select the card type. I've never bought anything online where I haven't had to. Last flight I booked with them (last week) it wouldn't accept it until I had. There isn't a default. The drop down box is blank until the card type is accepted.
    • kodelord1
    • By kodelord1 14th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kodelord1
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    thanks, i have contacted them via that contact form.

Re defaults, I can't swear if that was the default or not, but in any case, I'd think the card type can be gauged from the card number. This shouldn't be a user input - or atleast they should distinguish Mastercard (CREDIT) from Mastercard (DEBIT).

https: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_card_number
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 14th Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 1,025 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    Why not Visa Mastercard or Visa Debit card? The site couldn't be much clearer that you have to select then card type. Its pretty standard practice that you have to card type IME. It depends on the system whether they card type is recognised from the number AFAIK.

If they hadn't asked the customer to select card type because the system recognised it and then charged wrongly then fair enough, its their fault, but not when they clearly tell you to select card type but you ignore it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,430Posts Today

7,267Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin