Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joosing
    • By Joosing 14th Sep 17, 8:29 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 29Thanks
    Joosing
    Beware: Disabled Railcard & South Western Rail
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:29 AM
    Beware: Disabled Railcard & South Western Rail 14th Sep 17 at 8:29 AM
    Hello

A relative has a disabled railcard that entitles both her and an adult companion to one third off most rail fares.

When I booked tickets earlier this week with South Western Rail, the discount was only given to the railcard user, not the carer. When I used the National Rail website, the discount was given to both passengers.

To get the correct discount I had to rebook the tickets through National Rail, and send the overpriced tickets back to South Western rail for a refund.

Please be aware of this error on their website, and book via National Rail to get the discount you should be entitled to.

Best wishes
    Joosing
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 4,424 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    What did South Western Railway say when you pointed out their error to them?
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 14th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    It works for me.

When you select disabled railcard you need to make sure it says two adults in the box underneath. Did you do that?
    • Joosing
    • By Joosing 14th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Joosing
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    I phoned them to tell them the rates quoted charged by them was more than National Rail. It took ages to get through to them and they didn't know why their price was higher. At that point I hadn't realised that the 2nd discount for disabled railcard wasn't being given. Rather than spending another half hour trying to get through I wrote to them to tell them the problem, when I requested the refund. Should hear in next 28 days.

As for information I entered... no I didn't put 2 adults in under the disabled railcard box, as I had already entered 2 adults for the entire journey, in the boxes before. I initially thought putting 2 adults under the railcard would indicate both adults had a disabled railcard, however, I've looked at this again and it looks like you're right and that's how you get the discount for both passengers.

I suppose they are giving the option of not claiming the second third off discount, but not sure why!

Many thanks
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 4,424 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    I suppose they are giving the option of not claiming the second third off discount, but not sure why!
    Originally posted by Joosing
    One reason could be that the two people who tickets are being bought for are not planning to travel on the same train, when the second person wouldn't be a 'companion'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,287Users online

Martin's Twitter