Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 14th Sep 17, 8:22 AM
    • 130Posts
    • 70Thanks
    Bath cube
    Tongue still numb
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:22 AM
    Tongue still numb 14th Sep 17 at 8:22 AM
    7 years this December I had both lower 3rd molars extracted in hospital. My tongue felt numb as soon as I woke from the general anaesthetic and I knew something was wrong. A nurse told me it was common and if it didn't feel better after a week to contact the oral surgery depth. I did so and was told that my lingual nerve was probably bruised during the procedure and it would recovery in around 6 months. It's not as bad as it was but still feels like when you have a filling and the local anaesthetic is wearing off. It's the tip and edges of my tongue that feel like this now rather than the full tongue. Shouldn't they have asked me to return and examined me?. You could say I'm unlucky with teeth I had to wear braces for 3 years in my youth. And 8 years ago a dentist did an unnecessary filling in my lower left second molar and I had to sue. I also had my first molar extracted on the same side due to failed root canal. I'm also missing the first premolar on that side too plus my upper left five and lower right first molar due to extractions for my orthodontic work. The gaps for the orthodontic extractions have closed in quite a bit over the years though. My existing dentist has said I could have a partial to replace the missing lower left 4 and 6.
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Sep 17, 8:30 AM
    • 15,042 Posts
    • 37,682 Thanks
    elsien
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:30 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:30 AM
    If this is indeed genuine and the hospital said it would wear off in 6 months, then why have you waited another seven years to see if anything can be done about it? Not heard of personal responsibility and following things up of your own accord?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 14th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 3,998 Posts
    • 3,623 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    This is a well known risk with wisdom tooth extraction and everyone signs a form to say they understand this.

A small percentage of people will have some damage to the nerve, which in most people will "heal" within a few months. A small percentage of these will be left with some permanent damage.

There is no treatment available for this , just time , so there would have been no point in seeing you again.

This risk of damage to the lingual nerve is why so few wisdom teeth are taken out in the last ten years or so. The problems they cause have to justify the unavoidable risk to the nerve.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 14th Sep 17, 9:41 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Bath cube
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:41 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:41 PM
    I didnt want to have extractions under GA. My dentist recommended hospital treatment because I have a strong gag reflex and even taking the bite wings was a challenge let alone inserting instruments and sutures. I am fine with treatment to my remaining teeth though it was a struggle then because they were so far back in my mouth. One tooth was partially erupted the other a almost full impaction. I have heard upper 3rd molars are so much easier to extract than lowers. Yes I signed a consent form to have the anaesthetic and procedure I'm not looking for any compensation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,951Posts Today

8,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin