Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kah22
    • By kah22 14th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1,268Posts
    • 453Thanks
    kah22
    Apple phone not charging
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    Apple phone not charging 14th Sep 17 at 8:20 AM
    My GF handed me her phone the other day ( I think it's an Apple 5s ) and asked if I could inquire what could be wrong and a possible solution.

The problem is that the phone is not charging: put the power lead in and all you get is the icon for the charger lead, a lighting symbol appearing above it and above that the battery icon with just a very thin red line, in effect no power. The icons stay about 5 seconds.The power lead itself appears loose

I've tried using one or my own power cords on it but nothing, it won't charge.

Two thoughts occurred to me: the battery is completely drained and because it's an old model and because the battery got so low it just won't refill, the GF would constantly let the battery drain.

The second possibility, and I think the most likely, the little contacts inside the phone have got damaged. I say this because the power connector itself appears very loose, it doesn't take much to knock it out. I've had it on one of my own leads all night but nothing. A thought had occurred to me that something had worked is way into the charge point and that was part of the problem but a good minutes with my Henry laid that idea to rest.

It's got to this stage because for the GF it's just something to make the occasional call on and receive a call. We live in a rural area and the nearest Apple Store is a good 90 minutes away. Any suggestions as to what we might do? I'm assuming a fix could be expensive

Kevin
    There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met. - William Butler Yeats
Page 1
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 14th Sep 17, 8:52 AM
    • 7,472 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:52 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:52 AM
    A damaged connector sounds most likely, how old is the handset?
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 14th Sep 17, 8:55 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 3,113 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:55 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:55 AM
    Get a cocktail stick & very gently put it into the charging port of the phone & slowly sweep it from side to side, you may find there s a fair bit of fluff (from the phone being in pockets & bags) which has accumulated over time. I had the same thing with mine & I took it to a repair shop, I asked for a new charging port & he took the phone up stairs did this & brought it down & its been perfect since.
    Hiraeth
    • kah22
    • By kah22 14th Sep 17, 10:29 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    kah22
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:29 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:29 AM
    Looks like cocktail sticks have more uses than sticking a sausage on the end of it. Up and running again. Thanks 😋
    There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met. - William Butler Yeats
    • kah22
    • By kah22 15th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    kah22
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    Maybe Apple X? Now where did I put that spare £1000 🤔
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 15th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 6,086 Posts
    • 5,234 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    Hi,

so better poking than sucking, the cocktail stick did what Henry couldn't.
    Y'all take care now.
    • gearbox162
    • By gearbox162 16th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gearbox162
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    Lightning Charger Diagnosis
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    I think what's wrong is that the Lightning connector may be a bit loose but there is a large variety of lightning cables on Amazon.co.uk that are compatible with the 5s
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

1,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin