Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 14th Sep 17, 7:43 AM
    • 642Posts
    • 1,211Thanks
    Johnersh
    60% of tickets issued successfully defended
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:43 AM
    60% of tickets issued successfully defended 14th Sep 17 at 7:43 AM
    So say the RAC Foundation. News article here (£) paywall: http://thetimes.co.uk/article/b7dc6272-98c4-11e7-8c3c-cb45202c3d59

The forum stats may well be higher. This may indicate that the issue is beginning to get traction. The cost to the court service of volume unmeritorious parking charges clearly cannot be sustainable either.
Page 1
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 14th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    bargepole
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    So say the RAC Foundation. News article here (£) paywall: http://thetimes.co.uk/article/b7dc6272-98c4-11e7-8c3c-cb45202c3d59

The forum stats may well be higher. This may indicate that the issue is beginning to get traction. The cost to the court service of volume unmeritorious parking charges clearly cannot be sustainable either.
    Originally posted by Johnersh
    The Times article is referring, I believe, to appeals rather than court cases. Considering that IPC companies hardly ever allow an appeal, that must mean that tickets issued by BPA members are either cancelled on first appeal, or ruled in favour of the motorist by POPLA, on a high percentage of occasions.

The Court Service probably still regards these claims as a profit centre. Only about 10% of claims issued are defended, which means that HMCTS cop a filing fee for the other 90%, and don't have to do any work other than issue a Judgment.

For those which do end up in court, the Claimants will have paid a hearing fee of anywhere between £25 and £335, depending on the amount being claimed, so with District Judge salaries averaging out at about £50 per hour, and hearings lasting 1.5 hours on average, there are swings and roundabouts.
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 29. Lost 9.
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 14th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    • 8,943 Posts
    • 13,679 Thanks
    trisontana
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    That same article also said that a large majority of motorists pay up without appealing. So still a money spinner for the PPCs.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 14th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 6,328 Posts
    • 8,139 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    hmmm RIP OFF BRITAIN as it's best
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 14th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    Johnersh
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    @bargepole - thanks, that's a helpful clarification. I stand by the point that there is no money for an overstretched court service in these once they are defended.

The costs of managing the paperwork and running the IT in addition to the volume of hearings, simply mean that the (for the most part) £25 issue fee will not cover the total costs. It's not for nothing the High Court issue fees scale up to £10,000 in a cack-handed fashion to try and make the Court system pay for itself.

None of the cost focus factors in the delays introduced into the system by volume claims. It is a significant issue.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

409Posts Today

5,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin